Creating a dynamic quiz based on past performance

Creating a dynamic quiz based on past performance

by Bill K -
Number of replies: 4

The way I am thinking of setting up a dynamic language-learning quiz is that it will be based on past performance. Let's say I have a set of 10 words. When an user takes a quiz as part of a course, the database will keep track of how many times the user gets a word correct. 

I want to track the students' competency with each word by measuring by how many times in a row they correctly identified the word. If they got a word wrong, their score would decrease. If they got the word correctly the score would increase (until it reached a maximum score).

Now, the database would govern how often each word appeared. If a student has scored 0 on a word (never gotten it correct), the word have the top priority in the cycle. If a student has scored 10 correct answers in a row with a word, then the system would need to wait several months before adding the word in.

In other words, the more the user gets a word wrong, the more often it will appear in that user's quizzes to challenge the user. The more often the user gets a word right, the less often it will appear.  

So what I am looking at is trying to create a "dynamic" quiz based on past performance. Is this possible with Moodle? Is there a plugin that does this, or will this have to be coded myself?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Bill K

Re: Creating a dynamic quiz based on past performance

by Matt Bury -
Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Bill,

What you've described is called the Leitner system, a variation on spaced repetition. It's been around since the 1970s so you should be able to find some kind of flashcard software to generate such tests.

AFAIK, Moodle's Quiz and Lesson modules only have rudimentary adaptive testing capabilities and can't do what you want.

This plugin apparently uses the Leitner system but I've never tried it and it doesn't look like any documentation comes with it: https://github.com/vfremaux/moodle-mod_flashcard

I hope this helps! smile

In reply to Matt Bury

by Bill K -

The Leitner system is exactly what I'm hoping for. 

However, the adaptive quiz module is designed for written questions. What I'm looking for relies more on flash cards for language learning. Something like Anki:

http://ankisrs.net/index.html

I would love to use it if it can be integrated with Moodle. Is that possible? Anyone ever done this before? 

Btw, I already searched the forum for Anki and there were a few threads, but nothing too helpful... though those threads are at least 3-4 years old.

In reply to Bill K

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

As Tim suggests, the Question Practice module would be an excellent candidate for this type of functionality. I took over maintenance of it at the end of last year and it is exactly the type of feature I would like to see in it.

I think one of the reasons this type of functionality is not common is that it requires a large and carefully considered question bank.