Wanted : A resource page of forums !

Wanted : A resource page of forums !

by Anil Sharma -
Number of replies: 2

I've come across this scenario too many times. Even www.moodle.org has this problem, a page with a long list of forums in it. Unfortunately, this page has to be in the center column of the course because inside a course, forums can only be added in the center column, not in blocks.

One way of changing this would be the ability to insert new forums inside resource pages. One could then create a complete page full of forums and describe them properly with headings etc.

Chardelle has created a block which allows users to add forums into blocks inside a course. While this is handy, it still doesnt solve the issue of not sowing all the forum names on the main page of the course.

I would like to work towards this, does anyone have ideas or suggestions or a simple hack to get this done ?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Anil Sharma

Re: Wanted : A resource page of forums !

by Jan Dierckx -

A simple solution would be to just copy the list of forums taken from the forum index page and paste it inside a resource webpage. You can add images and descriptions to each of them using the HTML editor.

Attachment ScreenShot004.jpg
In reply to Jan Dierckx

Re: Wanted : A resource page of forums !

by Chardelle Busch -
Picture of Core developers
That looks nice Jan, however, the problem still lies in that if you want to add any type of activity, it HAS to appear either on the site homepage or a course homepage. I use the course activity block to get some activities--forums and glossaries--out of the center column and focused in a block.

It just so happens you're in luck Anil.  N Hansen figured out that if you add forums to the block, then hide the block, then you can do like Jan did above and add the links to the forums to a resource page--this way the forum links don't show on the course homepage at all.