Ticketing System for student helpdesk and support

Ticketing System for student helpdesk and support

by Susan Haufler -
Number of replies: 4

I would like to either integrate or link to Freshdesk, a ticketing system for user help/support from my Moodle Course. The function of this would be to give private support for the course to our users. We have thousands of students in this continuing course, and would like to be able to have a team of supporters use a ticketing system. I don't think this is available as a service within Moodle. (?) Linking to this outside service is preferable. Is this possible? We do not want to use the forum, because we need to keep user contact information private, and would prefer that the support staff not have to log into the Moodle course to answer support questions.

Thank you for any insight you can offer!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Susan Haufler

Re: Ticketing System for student helpdesk and support

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

You can directly link to FreshDesk from within your course, opening the FreshDesk window in a new tab, like any other external tool. The only issue would be logins, but most systems I have used either use a dual login, a system login and a Moodle login, or an SSO, which should allow you to open Web applications without having to log in again. 

I don't know if it can be done, or even if it is desirable to be done, but can FreshDesk be connected to the Moodle using an LTI connection? That way, the User does not even have to leave Moodle at all. 

In reply to Colin Fraser

by Susan Haufler -

Thanks so much for reply! I'm glad to hear that we can link outside Moodle. I was not sure if there were restrictions on what can/cannot be linked to. So, probably our best bet for now is to link to the external site, and have users create a new login there. I think Freshdesk can gather enough info from the user that would allow us to find their profile in Moodle.

In reply to Susan Haufler

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Susan,

Do you know about the User support - Work Tracker plugin available for use right in Moodle? My Moodle site has always been small, but I've used Work Tracker for years and it is capable of doing much more than I ever needed. I ran it right on my Moodle site front page so my IT support (me) did not have to go into individual courses to see if I needed to 'work' on something.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to AL Rachels

by Susan Haufler -

Thank you very much for this suggestion ! I will definitely look into the User Support - Work Tracker plugin.

Susan