Combining guided and discovery learning

Combining guided and discovery learning

by Chris Jeffries -
Number of replies: 0

I needed to provide a resource for discovery style learning where the student is asked questions and left to find the answers, and didactic programmed learning where the student is spoon-fed the information and then asked questions about it.

I wanted to use a wiki as a resource for the discovery learners (and for classroom blended learning).

I wanted to use the Lesson activity for the guided learning.

However, I did not want to maintain two separate resources with the danger they would get out of synch.

In the end I managed to get the Wiki article to appear in the Lesson question page using this HTML code:

=================================================================

<p>
<script type="text/javascript">// <![CDATA[
function resizeIframe(obj) {
    obj.style.height = obj.contentWindow.document.body.scrollHeight + 'px';
  }
// ]]></script>
<iframe onload="resizeIframe(this);" seamless="" scrolling="no" style="margin: 0; padding: 0; border: none; width: 100%; margin-top: -2.2em; background-color: white;" src="http://kb.construct-x.com/mod/wiki/prettyview.php?pageid="{the wiki page no goes here}"></iframe></p>

<p>{The question goes here}</p>

=======================================================

However, although this works, it feels clunky. Does anyone know a better way to achieve the same result.

PS If you need to know why on earth I am providing the didactic programmed learning option, I think 'contractual obligations' sums it up pretty well.

Average of ratings: -