Some Moodle file won't download with Filezilla

Some Moodle file won't download with Filezilla

by Russell Thomson -
Number of replies: 3

2.9.5+

When I was making a backup with Filezilla, I notice that some files wouldn't download. Can anyone tell me what the files are and how I can either eliminate them from Moodle or download them with Filezilla.

Regards,

Attachment Screenshot 2016-05-31 20.15.01.png
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Russell Thomson

Re: Some Moodle file won't download with Filezilla

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

The moodledata folder consists of 

cache/
filedir/
.htaccess
localcache/
muc/
sessions/
temp/
trashdir/

folders and IFAIK, the trashdir/ contains discarded files or incomplete backups or similar files which can be safely deleted, and do not usually appear in Moodle created backups. I am assuming that the files in the moodledata/temp folder are in fact the current use files, and are cleared at the end of the session, but are not stored in that folder. Neither of these folders appear in a Moodle backup. 

I know that if you have an issue with the sesskey, you can delete the contents of the sessions/ folder and that clears the issue. I don't think the sesskey appears in the backup either. The muc is Moodle Universal Cache, but I am not sure if it is to replace the other caches or to enhance them. The other folders are for caching or permanent storage, except the .htaccess file and really should not be touched. 

In reply to Colin Fraser

by Russell Thomson -

Hi Colin,

I assume you meant these files when you said I could delete them. Can you confirm that the information in moodledata/temp/backup and also the data in moodledata/trashdir can be deleted?

Regards

Attachment Screenshot 2016-06-23 13.10.38.png
Attachment Screenshot 2016-06-23 13.11.05.png
In reply to Russell Thomson

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Anything in temp can be deleted as long as your Moodle site is not doing anything. Stick it in maintenance mode (or shut the web server down) and delete them. Or just don't copy them.