PHP5 32bit vs 64bit performance on windows 64 bit server

PHP5 32bit vs 64bit performance on windows 64 bit server

by Paul Lindgreen -
Number of replies: 4
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

We currently use an older 32 bit version of php5.5.6 on a 64 bit windows2008r2/iis7.5 server with moodle 2.7 and are considering a php upgrade.

Would the latest php 64bit be expected to have slightly better performance and reliability over the latest 32bit version in this case? Would  anyone recommend upgrading to the latest 5.5 or 5.6 version instead?

Windows calls the php5 64bit versions 'experimental', saying '..do not provide 64-bit integer or large file support..'. Is that concern relevant to moodle? If moodle works on php5 32bit I'm guessing these 2 concerns are not needed by moodle?

Does anyone else use php5 64bit on windows 2008 64bit servers? Did you need to tweak anything due to the 'experimental' designation?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Paul Lindgreen

Re: PHP5 32bit vs 64bit performance on windows 64 bit server

by Usman Asar -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Paul,

64-bit PHP in versions 5.6 and below is not fully supported, therefore always mentioned as Experimental. But Latest addition of PHP 7 has brought full 64-bit support in windows platform as well, so unless you are planning to upgrade to PHP 7, there is no need to upgrade/change to PHP 64-bit.

Now regarding performance, PHP 7 has really pumped up PHP performance on both Linux/Windows platforms, in addition to large integer support in 64-bit, so large file support is now not a problem with PHP 7 on Windows platform. BUT, so far only Moodle version 3.0.1+ are tested and certified on PHP 7.

In regards to performance, there will be nearly no change when PHP 5.x 64-bit is used, apart from as mentioned earlier large file support.

Therefore if you are not on Moodle 3.0.1+ then keeping on PHP 5.x 32-bit will be OK, as long as you are not getting Large course backups/imports issues, as they can only be supported by fully supported 64-bit PHP.

If, you want to see performance boost while on PHP 32-bit, then either turn on OpCache (comes native to PHP 5.5 and 5.6) if you haven't done already, else use WinCache latest versions for PHP 5.x or a combination of both while disabling opCache in WinCache.

In reply to Usman Asar

by Paul Lindgreen -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Our Blackboard collaborate plugin is not compatible with php7 (no ETA from Blackboard), I look forward to that upgrade as well. We use OpCache.

re:  as long as you are not getting Large course backups/imports issues,as they can only be supported by fully supported 64-bit PHP.

Thanks Usman, guess i'll just upgrade my 32bit version unless there may be a benefit with our larger backups. Would you consider a course backup large if its 300-500mb in size?  Backups definitely push our system.

In reply to Paul Lindgreen

by Usman Asar -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

300-500 is normal, I was referring to courses on GB's as few people have had issues restoring 2GB courses on 32-bit