User s cannot log in. Log says "error code 2"

User s cannot log in. Log says "error code 2"

by Ryan Best -
Number of replies: 2

When several users attempt to  log into our Moodle 2.9 system, they are greeted with the following message:

Hi Victor ,

Someone (probably you) has requested a new password for your
account on 'Archdiocese of Los Angeles'.

Unfortunately your account on this site is disabled and can not be reset,
please contact the site administrator,

Student Support

I tried changing his password and then changed it again – I can’t log in as him, and he can’t log in as himself.

The logs show an error code id 2 but I cannot find that error code listed anywhere.

I recently used the plugin "Signup" but then disabled it and am using the standard "Self Enrol with email confirmation" to automatically assign students to courses upon registration with key code.  I have 12 courses each with a separate key code.  Also, several accounts had been set up w/o my knowledge during the time I was modifying the enrolment system. These had manual Confirms done to them.

Anyone have any ideas of what error code 2 is, and more to the point: how to fix this issue?

Thanks!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ryan Best

Re: User s cannot log in. Log says "error code 2"

by Ryan Best -

Sorry, paragraph at bottom should read:

I recently used the plugin "Signup" but then disabled it and am using the standard "Enrolment key based self registration" to automatically assign students to courses upon registration with key code.  I have 12 courses each with a separate key code.  Also, several accounts had been set up w/o my knowledge during the time I was modifying the enrolment system. These had manual Confirms done to them.

Could this issue be caused by a course that previously did not have an enrolment key when the user enroled in the course?

In reply to Ryan Best

Re: 'Unfortunately your account on this site is disabled and can not be reset'

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Sorry Ryan for your question remaining unanswered for so long, however for anyone else with the same problem, just noting that the message "Unfortunately your account on this site is disabled and can not be reset" is normally a result of the user's authentication method being disabled. In other words, if a user creates their account using an authentication plugin called 'Signup' for example, then this plugin needs to be kept enabled for the user to continue being able to log in. Please see the discussion "Your account was deactivated"... for details of how to change a user's authentication method.