Online Text Assignment doesn't covert to pdf.

Re: Online Text Assignment doesn't covert to pdf.

by Mike Kelly -
Number of replies: 4

Hi Al,

Somewhat off-topic, but as a professional sysadmin of many years I've got to respectfully disagree with your statement that the "security perspective for LibreOffice is no different than it is for any other software on your server".

Installing a desktop application on a Linux server can open you up to all kinds of interesting vulnerabilities that may or may not be addressed by future security updates, patches, etc. Even though unoconv runs LibreOffice in headless mode, LibreOffice is still dependent on many X-Windows tools and libraries. Those dependencies are installed automatically when you install the LibreOffice package.

As X-Windows is a network-enabled desktop environment by design, you should be careful when installing it on a production, internet-facing server. An admin unfamiliar with X-Windows configuration could inadvertently open themselves up to attacks that rely on standard X-Windows features, not bugs or vulnerabilities that would be addressed by future security updates.

That's not to say that unoconv & LibreOffice are a bad idea on a production server, but it does make things more interesting from a security point of view and is not the same as installing a new web server or other server daemon.

In reply to Mike Kelly

by Paul Raper -

We had a problem with Moodle 3.1 where when certain PDF files were uploaded by students, the file displayed what appeared to be Chinese.

It seems that the issue is resolved in part in Moodle 3.4 in that the preview no longer shows Chinese, it displays nothing at all.

Is there any chance that this could be looked at? I could probably give you a heads up on what the problem is:

We've discovered that Moodle converts the PDFs into images so it can display them in the grading information. The script doing the conversions fails when the PDF files contain a "CIDFont" font.
I suggest you ask the students use common fonts, such as "Arial" or "Times new roman".

Source : https://ghostscript.com/doc/7.07/CJK.htm

In reply to Paul Raper

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

If you want something to be looked at you need to put in a ticket ticket but this appears to be a in unoconv issue not moodle. Have you tried the Google document converter?

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Emma Richardson

by Paul Raper -

Hi Emma,

I am not sure whether or not that is an option with Moodle 3.1, but we shall certainly look at it with regard to Moodle 3.4. Generally though: we don't like anything Google. sad

In reply to Paul Raper

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

I tend to agree with a general philosophy that Google is inherently evil!  evil . That being said, we just jumped to Google apps and I relunctantly allow Google to pretty much run my life..!!