New Installation Moodle 2.6.11+ - Home/My Home Page Not Found

New Installation Moodle 2.6.11+ - Home/My Home Page Not Found

by Raymond Den Otter -
Number of replies: 10

Hi all -

Brand new Moodle user/developer who's currently still on version 2.6.11+.

Issue: Links to 'Home' and 'My Home' result persistently into a 'Page Not Found'.

Instance can be found at http://www.e-lumini.com/lms.

I figured that the Home page should point to '../lms/index.php' and My Home should point to ../lms/my/index.php.

Where can/should I change these paths?

Many thanks in advance -

Raymond

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Raymond Den Otter

Re: New Installation Moodle 2.6.11+ - Home/My Home Page Not Found

by Albert Ramsbottom -

What is in your config file??

Albert

by Raymond Den Otter -

Is there anyone who can help me tackle this issue please?

I've 'played around' with the config file - as attached in the post above - but that doesn't seem to resolve anything.

Surely there must be a more helpful Moodle expert out there who can help me solve this issue?

Looking forward to hear from the experts among you...

Raymond

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

So, I just went to your site and got the page not found.  Added index.php to the url and got there just fine.  Looked at your config.php file and seems correct.

What does your available sites default file look like in apache?

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Emma Richardson

by Raymond Den Otter -

Hi Emma -

Thanks heaps for coming to my aid and many thanks also for checking my installation.

You've thrown me completely with that one-liner: "What does your available sites default file look like in apache?"

Could you give me a gentle pointer toward the 'how to check that' please? Working from a hosted server; took a quick look at the Apache settings but couldn't find anything meaningful to play with... smile

What's the Apache setting/doc that needs my attention?

Cheers Emma!

Raymond

by Raymond Den Otter -

Well, I think I found the error.

We put Moodle in a subdirectory under a Silverstripe installation. Probably for SEO purposes, Silverstripe removes all 'index.php' extensions from all urls, including those in subdirectories. Question is now how to 'make it so' that all 'index.php' extensions are preserved in that Moodle subdirectory, and for that subdirectory only.

Hmmm.

I am thinking 'htaccess' file rewrite for the Moodle subdirectory?

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

You may need to check that with your hosting/silverstripe support. Not sure why they would be doing that as index.php should work as a default page in a directory exactly the way index.html would, so don't see the logic for silverstripe to strip it off.

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Glad you at least got it located.  I have never heard of Silverstripe but can you not move your Moodle outside of that directory and have it run independently?  If not, maybe discuss with your host how to resolve the issue...

by Raymond Den Otter -

Thanks Emma!

I actually figured out that I could resolve the issue with an .htaccess injection. Because Silverstripe takes the 'index.php' out of urls, string suffices Moodle needs for proper navigation, I could do one of two things:

• Either modify Silverstripe's .htaccess file to reintroduce the 'index.php' strings, which results in real ugly and non-friendly SEO urls; or,
  • Inject an .htaccess file into Moodle's subdirectory that takes the 'index.php. strings out of its urls [rewrite rule].

So, to keep things simple, I took the second option: I wrote a simple .htaccess file in three minutes and placed this in Moodle's subdirectory.

Things work absolutely sweet now - all Silverstripe and Moodle pages are living happily together on one server.

Thanks heaps for your assistance Emma; please remain on standby - I may need to tap that brain of yours again at some point in the future!

Take care.

Raymond

by Emma Richardson -

Glad you are up and running - and happy to (try and!) help. smile