Changing Default Profile Settings

Changing Default Profile Settings

by Deb Burdick-Hinton -
Number of replies: 6
Hello All! I was not sure what the appropriate place was to post this?

I would LOVE to change a few of the default Profile settings associated with the way emails are handled when new student accounts are added.  Right now new student accounts are created the default email settings are:
Email Digest Type: No digest (single email per forum post)
Forum Auto Subscribe: Yes: when I post subscribe me to that forum.

Most of our students are rural alaskans, many of whom are English and a second language and very few have ever sent an email message. These default settings create a huge pile of email that they are overwhelmed by and trying to guide all them through updating their profile is pretty tough.  I would prefer to begin with the following default settings:
Email Digest Type:Complete(daily email with  full posts)
Forum Auto Subscribe: No: don't automatically subscribe me to forums.

Has anyone figured out a way to change these.  If so would appreciate your input.  I also attached a screen shot of the settings.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Deb Burdick-Hinton

Re: Changing Default Profile Settings

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Debra,

Default profile settings may be changed using phpMyAdmin (MySQL Admin).

For Email Digest Type:Complete, change the maildigest default to 1 in the table mdl-user.
For Forum Auto Subscribe: No, change the autosubscribe default to 0 in the table mdl-user.
In reply to Helen Foster

by Paolo Oprandi -
Hello Debra, Helen, all,
Shouldn't the default profile settings be a site configuration option, not requiring the use of 3rd party tools?
And shouldn't you also be able to specify the default settings for a course - including format,block arrangements and activities in topic zero?
Is there a reason we should know about why Moodle hasn't this flexibility (I often find out there is) or should our institution look at incorporating it?
Best wishes,
Paolo
In reply to Helen Foster

Απάντηση: Re: Changing Default Profile Settings

by aggelos panagiotakis -
Can i also trackforums from 0 to 1 in table mdl_users in order to get Forum tracking for all to the value of yes ???

The trick did not work to enable "Email digest type " with the change of maildigest from 0 to 1 ... This is probably because all users have checked their profile. How can i change it with an sql query in the database for all ? Which is the table which the fields that these values are saved to ?

Thank you in advance,
Aggelos
In reply to Helen Foster

by Doris Johnson -

Hello Helen, I would like to change the forum tracking setting for all users to "Yes, highlight new post for me". I have tried to make this change in the database_mdl_user table. The setting was a 1 and I changed it to a 0 in the trackforums field, but it didn't seem to work. Do you know what I did wrong?

In reply to Doris Johnson

by Alfredo Delgado -

I'm looking for a reasonable solution to this, too. On 2.3.1, I've found that the 'Add a new user' HTML form's default is hardcoded in /user/editlib.php:

$mform->setDefault('trackforums', 0);

In reply to Alfredo Delgado

by Kerstin Namuth -

Our teachers are experiencing a lot of problems due to contradictory settings in users' profiles and in forums - and even a minor bug, I think.

It would be very useful to be able to limit the options at site level.

This thread started 8 years ago and is not very active. Is there, maybe, a better place than under "Enrolment"?

There is also an "open issue" and request for improvement here: https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-37812, but at the moment it is rated as of minor priority.

25 people have voted in order to support the request so far.