Can we make students pass/fail a course based on 1 grade item?

Can we make students pass/fail a course based on 1 grade item?

by Randah Mouallem -
Number of replies: 12

This might be impossible - but I said I would ask anyway smile

We have a couple courses that have assignments and quizzes in their course. The assignments are worth 40% of the overall mark, and final exam is worth 60%. The student has to receive a certain grade (60 or higher) on the exam to pass the course - even if they get 100% on their assignments.

Is there a way to have Moodle automatically know that the students failed the course if they got less than 60% on their final exam?

My suggestion to the people who are doing this is to set the category total for the course to be a pass/fail scale and then have faculty manually set the course total to pass or fail based on the result of that final exam. There isn't a way to make this happen automatically - is there?

We're currently running Moodle 2.7 but will be upgrading to 3.1 over the summer.

-Randah

In reply to Randah Mouallem

Re: Can we make students pass/fail a course based on 1 grade item?

by Mark McKay -

I believe that you could do this with a custom calculation for the course total using a combination of min and max in the equation.

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

You can set the completion settings for the Quiz so that it is only complete when they get the required grade.  Then set course completion dependent on completion of the Quiz.

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Randah Mouallem -

So what happens if they have two separate quizzes? They do this so that if they fail the quiz, they get a 2nd attempt with new questions.

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Add both conditions to the course completion and select when Any of the completion requirements are done.  

If you do the grade route, your calculation will be more complex but I have seen people that have found a way to do that.

by Randah Mouallem -

One last question - where/how do I set the course completion to be dependent on the quiz?

by Randah Mouallem -

I'm not seeing a spot here to type in the grade to pass

scresnshot

by Emma Richardson -

Look under grade in the settings.

by Randah Mouallem -

I set the "Grade to pass" on both the quiz and the category but it still isn't showing up as a fail. It highlights those in red - so it knows that I have "Failed" that, but it still has me passing the course.

by Emma Richardson -

Hmm, you are right we are missing the passing grade part in the course completion settings.  Frustrating.  Here is a workaround.  Create another activity - for example a quiz with one question - or a feedback with a course eval, or a certificate for the course.   Make that activity restricted access upon passing the quiz, then make the course completion on that activity being completed.

by Randah Mouallem -

Then in order for this to work - does the course need to be set to use a pass/fail scale?