Assignment

Moodle 3.1 - how to use previous assignment grading interface?

Picture of Guido Roessling
Moodle 3.1 - how to use previous assignment grading interface?

Hi,

I have just updated to Moodle 3.1 and have received requests from some teachers how they can continue using the "previous" grading interface (without the file preview area), as this does not seem to be appreciated by them. I like the interface, although it does take up more space - but have also noticed that for some applications (downloading the submission in ZIP form, evaluating it offline - it's mostly programming code in our case -, and then trying to enter the resulting grade), the "preview" part is unneeded.

Any ideas if there is some setting where the display can be switched that I have failed to see so far? Or is this "the way to go"?

Best regards,

Guido

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Marcus Green
Re: Moodle 3.1 - how to use previous assignment grading interface?
Core developersParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developersTesters

I would be very surprised if there were any way of going back to the old grading interface.

Me, too - but asking cannot hurt, right?

I am "only" looking for a way to drop the preview/annotation area for some assignments, as it simply does not fit as well all contexts as one might hope for...

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
Davo
Core developersParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developers

Well, I've noticed that if you edit the URL and change 'action=grader' to 'action=grade', then you get the old interface back for that page (can't vouch for whether or not it actually works properly when you click 'save'). I only noticed as one of my plugins has a manual link back to the 'grade' page, and that showed the old version.

Average of ratings: Useful (5)

Thanks for the helpful hint, Davo - alas, the next problem has already come up (published in a different post in this forum...) mixed

Picture of Eric Strom

Very helpful tip, Davo!

We were able to modify mod/assign/renderer.php to add an alternate grade button to provide the option for instructors to navigate to the old interface without having to manually change the URL (at least on the Assignment module page).

It looks like this:
https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=339686

Still working on the "View all submissions" page.

Kim
Moodle Course Creator Certificate holdersParticularly helpful MoodlersTesters

Thank you, Davo!

Picture of Eleni Stathi
Απάντηση: Re: Moodle 3.1 - how to use previous assignment grading interface?

Hi Guido,

In order to hide the preview/annotation area for your whole site, you could select to hide the Annotate PDF option from the  "Manage assignment feedback plugins" page. The grading page still uses the new interface but without file preview. 

Hope it helps! 

Picture of Eleni Stathi
Απάντηση: Re: Moodle 3.1 - how to use previous assignment grading interface?

....and without the ability of annotating pdf's of course.

Picture of Jim Pickens
Re: Απάντηση: Re: Moodle 3.1 - how to use previous assignment grading interface?

H Eleni

Your solution seems to work for us.

We actually teach using software applications so we are interested in opening the actual file, not annotating the contents.

We love moodle and were in a panic when we first saw the new interface.

My other problem is when I am filtering by "Requires Grading" and I go to the "Grade" screen update the grade and advance to the next student it goes to the next student NOT  the next assignment that needs grading. 

Any Ideas,

It would be nice to be able to go to the "Next Student" and it use the same filter and advance to the next assignment that needs to be graded. This worked great in previous versions and was a real time saver. Currently I have to exit out to the assignment, go back to the filtered list and open the next student.

Perhaps I am using the new interface wrong, It would not be the first time smile. Usually someone has already thought of a solution.

Thanks to you and the entire moodle community.

I FOUND IT!

For others who are as dense as I am smile filtering the assignments can be done by clicking on the "funnel" in the upper right hand corner of the screen, see attached picture.

I love moodle!

Picture of Lukas Mizoch

Older interface has some benefits:

• you could save grade and jump to next student
  • you did not have to click on OK after every grade
  • etc. etc. etc.

From my point of view new interface is not so useful as was old one.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
Jim Judges

I can't help thinking the new interface was designed by someone who doesn't have to mark lots of assignments! The old view was preferable IMHO.

This should be configurable at Assignment level perhaps to allow switch to previous "grade" (not "grader") view.

The PDF marking view and function may be useful to some folk, but not everyone by default! It certainly shouldn't display when there is no PDF present.

math

My question is related - Can the PDF preview be turned off selectively? Especially, for instance, if none of the Submission Types are checked.

Example - using the Assignment to provide instructions, resources, and a grading rubric for work that is done outside Moodle (a presentation, for example). There is no need (as far as I can tell) for the PDF markup option, and it adds a whole other click to get the rubric sized up to be usable.

Our upgrade from 2.9 to 3.1 was just a few days ago, so I may be missing something. I like this new feature - but it would be nice to be able to turn it off when its not needed.

Other than this one little thing, I'm liking 3.1!

David

Picture of Enrique Castro
Core developers

Hi:

I'm just working on this. My university is upgrading to Moodle 3.1 this July and we want to keep the old interface, making the new one optional. 

Unfortunately, I have this working as part of a local_ulpgcassign plugin that add some other functions that may make no sense in you installation. 

What I have done is to add new site-level setting to allow admins to specify which submissions plugins will use the new interface. I mean, we use a lot of assign instance as a way to deliver assessment for offline assignments. We have some custom assignment submissions that do not imply student submissions. The new grading panel just doesn't  makes sense with offline o no-submission assignments. I as admin can leave those opt-out so the interface only shows the link to the old grading page.

In addition to settings.php this involves a simple customization of colums col_garde and col_userid in gradingtable.php

If interested, I can make a patch against moodle 3.1 without other ULPGC customizations, but only after July 20.  I'm quite busy before that date. 

Picture of Andreas Panagiotopoulos

Thank you Enrique for your suggestions.

Yes, I would like that patch, it would be useful for me as well.. I don't find new grading interface very useful for teachers and I don't know why moodle developers did so..

Anyway, I will wait for the patch!

Regards,

Andreas

Picture of scott hallman

I have to agree with you Enrique Castro

A large proportion of our assignments have no submissions cause we use the marking guides and Rubrics or even just prefer the assignment from a manual grade item (as this is buried in the gradebook and adding comments is a nightmare) We would be interested in seeing how you have done the work round so you can decide if they get the old or new view. Obviously it would be nice if 3.1 just did what 3.0 did and not bring up annotating options if you have not chosen them.

Scott

Me!
Core developersMoodle HQParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developersTesters

MDL-54165 was finished so now you can hide/show all the parts of the UI that you want to. 

Philip Roy

Damyon, do you mean hide/show when going to grade?

I was trying to find a way to NOT have the PDF pane showing as default across a Moodle install, but even after reading through MDL-54165 I'm still not clear how this can be done?

It appears the options are...

* Disable Annotate PDF across the whole site, or...

* Leave it up to graders to hide the PDF pane

Is this correct? I'm trying to find a way that hides the pane as default (for all staff) with the option to allow them to show it if needed. Slight confused wink

Cheers,

Phil

Picture of Lisa Kidder

David,

There are many good things about the new grading interface, especially for annotating PDFs, but I agree that it would be nice to be able to turn off the blank block taking up so much screen real estate.

I  did notice in the dev notes (https://docs.moodle.org/dev/Assignment_Grading_UX) there were/are plans to make the interface flexible and re-configurable, but that has not yet happened.

With offline assignments, the option to switch back to the old grading interface, or an interface that completely hides the PDF Annotation screen seems very logical.

Me!
Core developersMoodle HQParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developersTesters
MDL-54165 is an in-progress issue to make the new interface configurable for everyone - when it lands I will vote for it to be backported to 3.1.

Average of ratings: Useful (5)
math

Very good - thanks!

Picture of Lisa Kidder

Thank you for the link to the tracker Damyon.  Looks like there is some great work happening with the reconfigurability, which I think will make the new grading interface really amazing and functional across many different grading scenarios.

Lisa

Picture of scott hallman

Hi Damyon

Just looking at this issue but it appears (correct me if I am wrong) that you can turn off the annotate preview for all assignments but not for one. 3.0 gave us just the rubric/marking guide in the centre of the screen if no files were uploaded. 3.1 seems to give you the annotate tool even if nothing is uploaded. IS this going to be fixed so it automatically just gives the rubic/marking guide if no file is submitted? 

At present with the latest moodle version 3.1 installed, if you have no submissions and rubrics or marking guide on then 2/3s of the page is where the doc would be for annotating (but is blank) and the rubric is on the side, which you then have to pop out to see in full. We assumed that if we had no submission then the grade page would only bring up the rubric/marking with no pdf annotate.

please clarify

Scott

math

Lisa,

Thank you for the link - I'm glad to see that it is being discussed. And don't get me wrong - I really like the new grading interface. I was showing it to some teachers this morning and I am pretty sure I giggled out loud!

David

Me

I know this thread is getting a bit old, but you can add some javascript (jquery in this case) to your theme to make sure the grading panel is the first panel to show up (as opposed to the split screen). It's just a matter of changing which panel is 'active' to begin with:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

if ($('body#page-mod-assign-grader.pagelayout-embedded')) {
    $('button.collapse-none').removeClass('active');
    $('button.collapse-review-panel').addClass('active');

$('[data-region=review-panel]').addClass('collapsed');
}

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Picture of Toshihiro KITA
Particularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developersTranslators
Thank you for the javascript code. That is a great help for me. The meaning is the same, but i tried to directly modify the template files and it worked to hide the review panel as default.
(Adding javascript code in Themes looks like a bit of work today according to $THEME->javascripts description in https://docs.moodle.org/dev/Themes_overview#Theme_options_2 .)

How i modifled the files is shown in diff:

# diff  mod/assign/templates/grading_app.mustache.orig  mod/assign/templates/grading_app.mustache
37c37
< <div data-region="review-panel">
---
> <div data-region="review-panel" class="collapsed">

# diff  mod/assign/templates/grading_actions.mustache.orig  mod/assign/templates/grading_actions.mustache
44,45c44,45
<        <button class="btn collapse-review-panel">{{#pix}} layout-expand-right, mod_assign, {{#str}} collapsereviewpanel, mod_assign {{/str}} {{/pix}}</button>
<        <button class="btn collapse-none active">{{#pix}} layout-default, mod_assign, {{#str}} defaultlayout, mod_assign {{/str}} {{/pix}}</button>
---
>        <button class="btn collapse-review-panel active">{{#pix}} layout-expand-right, mod_assign, {{#str}} collapsereviewpanel, mod_assign {{/str}} {{/pix}}</button>
>        <button class="btn collapse-none">{{#pix}} layout-default, mod_assign, {{#str}} defaultlayout, mod_assign {{/str}} {{/pix}}</button>

Picture of Dan Logan

Hi Rebecca

Thank you for posting this. Can you tell me which file in your theme you are adding this code to?

Regards

Dan