Display format + use to schedule HS parent conferences

Display format + use to schedule HS parent conferences

by Ian Ellis -
Number of replies: 8
Suggestion: a repeat of the SAVE button between every few choices so there is always one visible if a list scrolls off the screen. Possibly at each choice? Or, once a radio button is clicked, move focus to a SAVE button or dialog box. That way a user won't leave thinking the button click alone had accomplished everything.

Agree: earlier suggestion of displaying choices in multiple rows and columns instead of just one of either.

Kudos for the Choice module.
It worked brilliantly to schedule high school parent conferences.
Using the choice module, a parent could look to see what times were available to see me (their kid's teacher) and book an open time. It updated instantly to close that choice to the next parent online. They could change their time, or cancel. Automatically. And I could Excel my schedule. Brilliant.
It was simple - I set up one choice for each time slot (with a limit of 1) plus a cancel choice (high limit). One button every 10 minutes of the visiting hours.

I chose the horizontal display, although it scrolled far right off the screen, because I wanted their first view of the screen to show the all important SAVE button, which they may have otherwise never seen at the bottom of a vertical scroll.  That's why above I supported the idea of a grid display of the buttons.

I have until Spring conference to figure any such code changes if I want to learn to dabble in PHP. But if someone more familiar with the module gets to it first, so much the better.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ian Ellis

Re: Display format + use to schedule HS parent conferences

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
...wait till you see the new Choice block I'm working on... - if I get it finally finished!!!

with the new choice block are a few other changes that should make the addition of a new format for viewing the choice much easier!

smile

Dan
In reply to Dan Marsden

by Tony Silva -

Hi Dan,

You mentioned your plans to develop a new choice block back in July.  I'm glad to see you're still on the trail.

Anything that can make the Moodle interface more closely resemble the learning environments our students have experienced is a step in the right direction.  If I could figure out the templating system, I'd give some improvements a stab, but in spite of the well written tutorials, I'm not having much luck.

Thanks

Tony

In reply to Tony Silva

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
I knocked up a version in August, but haven't had a chance to work with it much since then! - one of our developers recently resigned, so my time spent on Moodle Development has taken a step back due to a few other projects with "high priority" - hopefully I'll get a chance to look at it again pretty soon!

smile

Dan
In reply to Dan Marsden

by Paul Andrews -
/me drools...

big grin
In reply to Paul Andrews

by Dan Marsden -
It's still coming! - I'm hoping to finish it before 1.6 release!

smile

Dan
In reply to Dan Marsden

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Dan - Whatever happened with your work on the choice module? I am looking for a way to schedule parent/teacher conferences and with Roles coming in 1.7 doing it within Moodle would be awesome! Do you have any update or do you need anything to help you along? Peace.
In reply to Anthony Borrow

by Dan Marsden -
Hi Anthony,

the choice block is available from the modules and plugins database - what features were you looking for?

smile

Dan
In reply to Dan Marsden

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Thanks, I will check it out. I was looking to see how it might be used to schedule parent teacher conferences for our high school.