Moodle 3.1 is OUT!!!

Moodle 3.1 is OUT!!!

by Mary Evans -
Number of replies: 9
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Yeah!!!

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Mary Evans

Re: Moodle 3.1 is OUT!!!

by Graham Moir -
Any guidance what this means for themes?   Is there a chance themes released for 3.0.x will work in 3.1 unchanged?
In reply to Graham Moir

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Depends on the theme.  However there are changes so all will need to be updated to take full advantage of the changes.

In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

There is nothing in Modole 3.1 that will break a theme that is based on Bootstrapbase. The only changes to Clean theme is the page-header was removed from the layout files and turned into a renderer, and returned as...

<?php echo $OUTPUT->full_header(); ?>

I hope that answers you question?

Mary

In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by Francisco Gómez -

In Notifications I have this warning message: "Version warning: 
Theme not designed for Moodle version.
Unexpected issues may occur, please get the correct theme version for your Moodle version."

I suppose I will not have to worry if I use the same activities as before or Can I have problems?

Thanks.

In reply to Francisco Gómez

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

I believe with that notification your theme is Essential?

You should test it on  separate 'development' server with your plugins and activities (but then you should do that with any upgrade and any theme or plugin addition anyway smile )

I do have Essential running on a 3.1 test environment - I have definitely not run comprehensive testing with it at all, just have it there and used it for a few things and it hasn't broken anything. BUT Gareth will probably NOT support it until he officially releases a version that he is happy to have tested and released as suitable for 3.1 and I don't think he has done that for Essential yet (not in the plugins database that i can see anyway)

In reply to Richard Oelmann

by Francisco Gómez -

Yes, it is Essential  3.0.1.2 (Build: 2016010206) 2016010207.  I am using it in a productive server but everything seems to works fine. 

Well I think that if something is wrong, i Would be able to select another theme and I hope it will not damage the moodle installation.

Thank you a lot for your advice.

by Mary Evans -

It depends on which theme, and how it is made.

Generally the old themes like Afterburner, Brick, Boxxie etc still work as there is nothing much in them that would conflict.

All the themes that need updating will have been updated, although I did notice not many have updated yet.

If it is loaded and works then I would not worry too much, as the changes are mainly in Moodle Core and the ones in the Bootstrapbase and Clean only add a new feature.

So the only problems likely to break in a theme would be if there is a renderer in that theme that is used to change something in Moodle. If the renderer in Moodle is different than a previous version, then that would be enough to trigger a warning or error message.

This is the UPGRADE.TXT from Moodle 3.1 (moodle/theme/upgrade.txt)

This file describes API changes in /theme/* themes,
information provided here is intended especially for theme designers.

=== 3.1 ===

* A new search box for global search has been added to bootstrap and clean layout files, if
  your theme is overwriting columns1.php, columns2.php or columns3.php you will need to add a
  call to core_renderer::search_box to display it.
* Notification templates have been renamed to better suit types of alert
  rather than uses. The following changes have been made:
  * notification_problem.mustache => notification_error.mustache
  * notification_message          => notification_info
  * notification_redirect         => notification_warning
* Method core_course_renderer::course_section_cm_name() is split into two methods, custom themes that override
  this method must be modified or otherwise editing functionality may become broken. This method is now also used by social activities block and site menu block to display activities names.

First point:

The addition of a new Global Search box in Clean and Bootstrapbase layouts will not affect your theme, as it will not be added to your theme unless your theme is using Clean theme layouts.

Second point:

Notification have changed and these should not affect the theme. it's just that they work differently now.

Third point:

Method core_course_renderer::course_section_cm_name() 

This renderer type is the only thing that has the potential to break a theme,

So if your theme has this type of renderer then odds on it will break at some point.

As a matter of interest, which theme are you using?

Cheers

Mary

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mary Evans

by Francisco Gómez -

I am using Essential  3.0.1.2 (Build: 2016010206) 2016010207 and Moodle 3.1 (Build: 20160523).

Thank you for all your help.

I am very happy with this group.

by Mary Evans -

OK...in that case you will most probably experience a few errors in different places, because of the way Essential is built.

I am not sure if Essential will be updated, without fundinding.

We shall have to see.

Mary