auto grading assignment

auto grading assignment

by Fakhrur Razi -
Number of replies: 4

Hello , my name is Razi. I have a few question to ask. For your information, i am new with moodle. I already installed moodle in localhost. I have a final year project which is to develop an automatic grading for unstructured essay in our e-learning which is using moodle. Can i know where should i do the editing code for assignment submission so that i can try to do the automatic grading when student submit their answer?sorry for bad english. I hope you can help me with this. You can give me any suggestion so that i can develop this project.

This is some introduction for my project:
"Assessment System is an application to facilitate lecturers to mark or assess their students assignment automatically. The application can be developed using linguistic knowledge or the integration of semantic relations between words and their syntactic composition. Currently, Spectrum(OUR E-LEARNING) does not provide automated assessment for unstructured text such as short essays or report. Thus, it is very time consuming for the lecturers to mark the students assignments. Besides that, the subjective nature of essay assessment leads to variation in grades awarded by different human assessors, which is perceived by students as a great source of unfairness. So, this issue may be faced through the adoption of automated assessment tools for essays"

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Fakhrur Razi

Re: auto grading assignment

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Do you have any working examples of the AI needed to grade the unstructured writing?

Getting Moodle to add a given grade to an assignment is probably not that difficult. Getting a system to look at, evaluate and provide a reasonably accurate grade for a piece of unstructured writing that goes beyond a sentence that can pick out a couple of key words/phrases will require extensive linguistics, model answers, plaigiarism detection (or integration with existing plaigiarism plugins) and so much more besides.

The direct answer to your question is that submission and feedback plugins are just that, plugins in the assignment system and you can look at several of them in core or in the Moodle plugins database to see how they work. You would need, I think, to create a new submission plugin to accommodate the work you are proposing.

In reply to Richard Oelmann

by Fakhrur Razi -

Thanks Richard,

My idea for the Ai part is, we will have two sample answers. One from the student and one from the lecturer. For one the sample answers, let say we take the student answer. First i will do a tokenization. I will split the paragraph into sentences, sentences into words. After that, i will filter the stop word. After finish filtering the stop word, i will do the stemming. So, we will have some words that can be use to compare with the lecturer answer. We will repeat the same step for the lecturer sample answer. For the comparing part, i will use vector space model (boolean). Lastly, i will get the accuracy for the student answer compare to the lecturer answer. For example, 0.8 so the student will get an A. I will try to develop this first before improve it with semantic. Can i know how is the easy way for me to understand the backend coding for this plugin. I am new and i have a tough time doing this. Any advice?

In reply to Fakhrur Razi

by C Behan -

Hi Fakhrur,

I don't know if this will help at all, but it might be worth looking at the short answer question type in the moodle quiz https://docs.moodle.org/30/en/Short-Answer_question_type

Catherine

In reply to C Behan

by Fakhrur Razi -

Thanks C Behan,

Anyone knows how to add a new module in the activity mod?