Blank front page after fresh install moodle 3.04

Blank front page after fresh install moodle 3.04

by Eduardo Nieves -
Number of replies: 5

Hello Community,

This is my first install of Moodle, so I'm very green.  After a fresh install of Moodle 3.05, I logged in as administrator.  I then attempted to update the front page which went blank.  I have read several threads about this and cleared the cache and the page is still blank.  It appears that other pages come up without any issues.  It seems to happen quite often with new installs, so I hope someone can point me in the right direction.

thanks,

Eduardo Nieves

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Eduardo Nieves

Re: Blank front page after fresh install moodle 3.04

by Usman Asar -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Euardo,

by clearing caches you may be pointing to clearing browser cache's?

in real, you have to delete the caches of MOODLE, by going into moodledata folder, and you'll find two folders there, "cache" and "localcache" , delete them both, refresh your page, and you'll be good to go. these folders will be re-created automatically once you refresh browser page.

In reply to Usman Asar

by Eduardo Nieves -

Usman,

Thanks for the clarification!  I cleared the cache on the server and the Front Page Settings page is still blank.  I don't understand why this page would not work and other do.  I'm logged in as admin, which I assume has rights to everything.  Any other tips woulds be appreciated.

thanks,

Eduardo

by Eduardo Nieves -

I was able to figure out what was happening.  I'm going to log my findings so it will hopefully help someone in future.

By default php is configured with 32mb.  A minimum of 40 is needed for Moodle.  I set mine to 80mb.  Under site administration - server - environment there was an insufficient memory error detected, which led me to the fix.  I went into my cpanel for my hosting site and increased the memory and the problem was fixed.

Eduardo

Average of ratings: Useful (2)

by Usman Asar -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Eduardo,

good thing it got fixed, weird thing is moodle shouldn't have installed if memory limit assigned was less than what Moodle requires. Are you sure you have not done anything else other than increasing memory limit?

In reply to Usman Asar

by Eduardo Nieves -

Yes, that's the only change. This message was in the log.

php_setting memory_limit PHP setting must be changed.

Insufficient memory detected, please set higher memory limit in PHP settings.

After I increased the memory, it came up immediately.

Thanks for your help.

Eduardo

Average of ratings: Useful (1)