Problems with Categories and Weights

Problems with Categories and Weights

by Robin Collum -
Number of replies: 6

Hello, 

I thought I had resolved this issue from my previous post, but it's back! I'm using 2.9.

I am trying to set up a gradebook with 4 categories. Each category contains grade items of varying weights. For example, one category  is worth 10% (of final grade), and the grade items within it are worth 1% or 2% (towards the final grade, added up they total 10%). The category totals add up to 100.

In the 'Weights' column next to the category name, I entered "10". In each grade item nested underneath, I set the weight as "1" (or 2):

Each category follows this same pattern (grade items within category add up to the total weight assigned to the category itself).

BUT when I sign in as my "test student" and go to view grades, the results are all wrong! For example, I gave this test student a mark of 50 on all assignments. But when I go into their gradebook, it says that the "Calculated weight" of Module 1 Assignments is 10%, and "contribution to course total" is 5%. It does this for all assignments (except Module 9, where the numbers are 20% and 10%).

What am I doing wrong??!!

Course total and each category are all set to "weighted mean of grades."

Thank you in advance for your help.

In reply to Robin Collum

This forum post has been removed

The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.
In reply to Deleted user

Re: Problems with Categories and Weights

by Robin Collum -

Wouldn't simple weighted mean within a category calculate each item with a category equally? Ie, making all assignments worth the same thing? Because that's not what I want. 

In reply to Robin Collum

by Mark McKay -

Simple Weighted Mean is really just scaling to a different category total. The weighting of items within that category are still item points divided by category points scaled to the adjusted value.

In reply to Deleted user

by Roxie McCarty -

Does the category total show the average of everything in the category when set to simple weighted mean of grades?  Mine is way off.  Two grades in one category where max grade is 100:  100 and 78.  The category total shows 100!  

In reply to Roxie McCarty

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Would need to see screen shots of the setup page, the grade page and know if there are any custom calculations.

In reply to Robin Collum

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

I suggest switching to natural grading.  Also, do you have Exclude empty grades checked in your gradebook settings.