Ways of *easily* creating Guest Access to ONE course topic Moodle 2.7.

Ways of *easily* creating Guest Access to ONE course topic Moodle 2.7.

by Dom F -
Number of replies: 4

Hi All,

Moodle 2.7.3

Ways of *easily* creating Guest Access to ONE course topic Moodle 2.7. - Is there a way to do this without creating whole new one topic courses? 

I'm guessing not. But had to ask. We are looking to create some open-house / open-day sample access without yet more work creating special courses.

Thioughts welcome,

D

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Dom F

Re: Ways of *easily* creating Guest Access to ONE course topic Moodle 2.7.

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Well it depends on your definition of *easy* but here is one way:

1. Make the whole course guest access
  2. Use the Restrict access feature (known in 2.7 as Conditional activtities) to restrict access to the other topics except the first one, so that they are only visible to logged in users. You can do this by using a condition such that the email address must not be empty (ie, if it is not empty, that must mean Moodle knows their address and that must mean they are logged in) The 2.7 documentation for that is https://docs.moodle.org/27/en/Conditional_user_fields

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Dom F -

Thanks for the kind suggestion Mary - Option 1 means we cant preview one topic / section sadly. So...

Option2 . Reading that helpful doc note it says "This page explains how to restrict an activity, resource or course section via user fields and/or custom profile fields." which suggests that we would have to go into each section and turn OFF the permission (ie repeating the process about 20 times - rather than just turning ONE section (I call them topics) off - is that right? If so then I guess we're back to option 0, which is to create a one topic course but that misses the intention of them "seeing" all the other topics and being curious  (and aware that this is just a taster)

Perhaps I have misread the docs wrong though?

Maybe this is a good place to ask a related query, does the feature you describe permit the site admin to set a particular label within a topic/section (and thus the contents of a label) to be NON editable - but have everything else editable to an editing teacher?

In reply to Dom F

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Dom - sorry - I wasn't clear - 1 and 2 are not options; they are steps.

You make the course guest access so that guests can see it

Then you restrict access to everything except the top first topic

In terms of your "going into each section and turning off the permission" I just timed myself adding the restriction to one topic - and it took me 15 seconds. Assuming someone is slower than I am, say it takes them twice as long, ie, thirty seconds, then you could restrict 20 topic sections in ten minutes. And you only need do it once. I think that's a worthwhile time spent.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Dom F -

If you know what youre doing. smile And then I have to undo that as well. But I guess ultimately we could backup and restore such courses and then ENABLE the one section that we want to show? That could work right? That way we only have to enable one topic in future events. (otherwise doing what you say every day for a different topic starts to add up)

Did you have any thoughts on the (maybe) related second issue mentioned Mary? Intrigued...