Best SMTP Server for Moodle

Best SMTP Server for Moodle

by Pupil Senpro -
Number of replies: 6
Hi fellows,

I'm using AmazonSES (https://aws.amazon.com/ses/) for my SMTP Server in moodle.
But I'm found strange problem when using it as SMTP Server.

Here's what I'm found :

• When I'm trying reset password feature, it just can send limited number of messages and need a cooldown time so It can send confirmation email again. It just can send 2 emails and need 30 minutes Cooldown time so it can send another 2 emails.
  • I'm Checking to the AmazonSES Dashboard, And I didn't find any Bounced & rejected email. And also for the Quota & limit isn't exceeded yet.
  • I've check the cron, It pick up email each 1 minute.

Is AmazonSES doesn't suitable for Moodle?
What the best SMTP Server service to use for Moodle?

Thank You moodle.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Pupil Senpro

Re: Best SMTP Server for Moodle

by Matt Bury -
Picture of Plugin developers

H Pupil,

It sounds like something's misconfigured on the AmazonSES account. Have you contacted their support?

What I prefer to do is use a cloud-hosted server (VPS) and install a mail transfer agent, Exim on that. I configure it so that it only listens to localhost/127.0.0.1 and so only sends emails, doesn't receive them, and use a no-reply@yourdomain.edu address as the sender. If you're running Moodle with a small number of active users, you can even install Exim alongside on the same server. It's the simplest, lowest maintenance solution I've found. Of course, it's not good if you want to run a fully functional email server.

I hope this helps! smile

In reply to Matt Bury

by Pupil Senpro -

Dear Matt,

I didn't contact the support yet. Because I don't find any bounced and rejected email on Amazon SES Dashboard.
I suspect the problem is from the moodle application.

And also, I just found that it can send more 2 emails.
seems The 2 emails / 30 minutes is the limit on request reset password feature for an user.

I will investigate more, and share what I'm found. anyway thanks for the suggestion Matt.

In reply to Pupil Senpro

by Renaat Debleu -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

I find Amazon SES best for tiny and very small Moodle installations:

• very cheap
  • fast installation
  • no server maintenance

However, the basic Amazon SES limits are:

• Sending quota: 200 emails per 24-hour period.
  • maximum send rate 1 email per second.

However, these limits can be easily upgraded  (just do a request to amazon.com)

• Sending quota: 50000 emails per 24-hour period.
  • maximum send rate 14 emails per second.

Never heard from a 30 minutes cooldown period. 

In reply to Renaat Debleu

by Pupil Senpro -
Dear Renaat,

Yes our limit are
  • Sending quota: 50000 emails per 24-hour period.
  • maximum send rate 14 emails per second.
And also, I just found that it can send more 2 emails.
seems The 2 emails / 30 minutes is the limit on request reset password feature for an user.

I will investigate more, and share what I'm found. anyway thanks for the suggestion Matt.

In reply to Pupil Senpro

by Raymond Barrett -

I am trying to use Amazon SES and am getting an error when I try to send a message.

I am using email-smtp.us-west-2.amazonaws.com:587 for SMTP Hosts and I got the username and password via creating credentials via Amazon SES and I selected TLS for security.

Is there something I am doing wrong?

Thank you

In reply to Raymond Barrett

by Under Dog -

Hello,

I was advised to try to use Amazon SES and am in the stages of setting it up now (verifying domain at the moment).

What challenges do I need to be aware of for this?  Has anybody set this up to work properly?

You mention limits of some sort....where can I get those updated?  At the moment, the most emails we would send at any one time would be about 1700 (this is to our entire student base).

Thanks for the help!

Cheers!