How to change essay question type to automatic grading

How to change essay question type to automatic grading

by umapathi duttuluru -
Number of replies: 8

Hi All,

I am using Essay question type for one of my project. For essay question type need to manual graded. 

So please let me know is there any setting  to change to automatic grading or coding needs to be added.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to umapathi duttuluru

Re: How to change essay question type to automatic grading

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Can you explain HOW you would anticipate automatic marking of an essay? i don't mean the coding etc, just the practicalities of what you expect a computer to be able to do around this requirement - Several 1000 words, free content, variable grammar and spelling, correctly (or not) referenced, well (or not) reasoned argument and all the other marking/grading criteria that are used by a professional in coming to a judgement around marking an essay...

So, no setting, coding would be needed, but I have no idea what that coding would have to be, or how useful it would then be anyway without a substantial input of academic professional judgement.

In reply to Richard Oelmann

by umapathi duttuluru -

Hi Richard,

Thanks for your reply.

Currently in Essay question type when the user enter some content(XXX XXXX  XXXXXXXX) in text area and click "Finish Attempt". Then in review page it shows "Not yet graded". Teacher will login and click review link then clicking Grading required and then giving mark manually to the Essay question for the user.

But my requirement is when user enter some content( XXXXXXXX XXXX)   in the "Essay question"  and clicks "Finish attempt " automatically one mark should be given  other than teacher will login and giving one mark manually.

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Ah, so you do not mean grading the essay as such, you simply want to automatically register that it has been attempted and provide a 'grade' that shows an attempt has been made?

What about just using activity completion?

In reply to Richard Oelmann

by umapathi duttuluru -

When user enter some content in Essay question type then one mark should be given automatically for that question 

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

I wonder if you could use a short answer question type with just wild cards for the answer so that any answer would be correct?

In reply to Emma Richardson

by umapathi duttuluru -

Whether shortanswer question type will get mark automatically when user enters some content?

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

You would have to try it but maybe if you add wildcards for the correct answer, it would.

In reply to Emma Richardson

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

A short answer question set with only one answer of an asterisk getting 100% will do the trick.