Services for just hosting Moodle and BigBlueButton??

Services for just hosting Moodle and BigBlueButton??

by Steven Chippendale -
Number of replies: 15

Hi,

I need to set up a new Moodle 3 instance on a cloud-based service. 

I do not require a Moodle Partner, as I know what I'm doing, but I'm struggling to source a hosting service which will support the install of both Moodle 3 and BBB, perform backups, but will allow me to manage the implementation, plugins, users, theme, etc.

Does anyone have such a service, or heard of one?

Thanks.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Steven Chippendale

Re: Services for just hosting Moodle and BigBlueButton??

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

There are a multitude of hosts that offer VPS - that might be your best bet - then you can make sure that your environment is set up as you need it.

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

So ... just so I understand ... you want a managed hosting solution that provides installation of the OS + the updates to OS + the backups  that also does the installation of Moodle and BBB - as well as updates and backups to Moodle + BBB?

You will handle the Moodle Admin duties ... ie, inside the app ... not the operating system that those apps run upon.

I know of no hosting (well known/big name) that does that combo in that fashion.

Because BBB is supported only on Ubuntu (check their site for what they recommend) ... so that determines the OS.   Moodle can run on Ubuntu easily.    But, am not at all sure one should put BBB and Moodle on the same system.

You might be able to get one hoss of a dedicated (self-managed) box at RackSpace ... Ubuntu ... and with virtual apaches ... one for BBB and one for Moodle.   But sounds like you'd have to hire a technical person to do the OS ... etc. other things.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Steven Chippendale -

Thanks Ken.

I would manage the install and the backups myself, but the services I have trialled so far (including Azure and AWS), haven't been as straightforward as installing on a dedicated server. In fact, that's an understatement. Hence my line of enquiry.

Maybe I'm asking the wrong questions. What I probably need is a VPS service that works just like a local web server (create the database>unzip and drop the Moodle files>install). probably with the ability to FTP in, without confusing interfaces.

by Ken Task -

Better check out BBB's docs.  If I re-call correctly, they don't recommend installing BBB on any VM ... standalone ... regular hardware that meets specs.

About all those VPS offerings ... know what you mean ... been testing Google Apps Engine.  They offer one click installs of LAMP stack + an app but most are bitnami!!!????   One true CentOS (7) and a couple of LTS's of Ubuntu.

Did one of Ubuntu and hadn't gotten around to many things on it when I got a message from Google saying the project had been reported as doing something malicious at another network.   LIke all Linuxes that only service running was ssh - and there was, I thought, more config to get that to work like other standalone servers.    The CentOS 7 didn't have any issues.  Now I've installed plenty of Ubuntu's before so the only thing I could conclude ... pre-installed malware or someone has discovered backdoors to their 10. networking ... inside their network.    Couldn't prove it as I didn't have time for forensics.

The instance is a full blown CentOS 7 ... with ability to add repos, etc.. and for all practical purposes, looks like a true CentOS 7 but there are some restrictions ... no port 25 - and from what I can find a very complicated and convoluted suggestion as to how to be able to send mail from your server.   So a Moodle with no forums to which users could subscribe.    Self-registration ... out of the question, etc..

Great for tinkering ... but not production - at least not yet.

Lesson learned ... at least for now ... don't put anything mission critical on Google Apps Engine ... they are still working the bugs out.

Still, one's option might be purchase a physical box or two and have them co-located.   Ain't cheap.

2 cents worth ...

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Steven Chippendale -

My company has completely ruled out purchasing servers, so I'll just have to respect that.

I'm going to trial installing and running Moodle on a local install of Ubuntu. Having looked at the instructions on here, it looks like an agreeable solution, and I have experience of Ubuntu as a desktop. 

If that trail works out (I might even try out running M3 and BBB together), I think I'll approach the CEO and suggest we go with A2 Hosting, but that's a little premature. BBB would be desirable, but it's not absolutely essential.

Thanks for the advice, ken. 

by Ken Task -

Uhhhh .... desktop is not server ... to be honest, GUI desktop really doesn't do much for ya ... Apache/Nginx is faceless, MariaDB/MySQL ... same ... and php is a scripting language.

A2 hosting could do the Moodle ... but not the BBB server, me thinks.   A2 hosting provide one button installs?   And they do updates and upgrades?

See:

http://docs.bigbluebutton.org/support/faq.html#can-i-install-bigbluebutton-on-a-shared-hosting-server-such-as-godaddy

And the paragraph right after the question about GoDaddy ... EC2's ... which means Amazon.

OS Requirements

Ubuntu

BigBlueButton requires Ubuntu 14.04 64-bit. See Install BigBlueButton.

From what I've experienced when playing with it years ago and from what they show, there isn't anything GUI about BBB installing, configuring, nor maintaining (which is always *very* important - after all once users begin to use, they will want to continue using ... right?).

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Steven Chippendale -

I'm up and running with a local Moodle install on 14,04. That was painless enough. Certainly preferable to Azure/EC2/Google.
I'm guessing, if I'm capable of doing it on a machine, I can use the same method on a VPS Ubuntu?

by Ken Task -

Can only speak to Google ... if you are capable of installing AMP, on your choice of poison, then yes the 'method' is similar.   Google provides what's called minimal OS with some special stuff for Google.  One has to install Apache/MySQL/MariaDB/PHP + tweak + the Moodle (I'd do Moodle install/maintenance with git, BTW - other wise it's FTP which is yet another service one has to install, config (securely), then maintain.   You'll probably have enough trouble just with Email.   Why add to the headaches?

That's good though in that most distros, when they have chosen a PHP for ya, have chosen one that's not brand new ... PHP 7 is a .0.   Feel sorry for those Windows folks who may have installed a PHP 7.0.3 as there isn't any easy way (no package manager) to update PHP to the highest/most secure version.   And there are already some serious updates that need to be acquired.

Don't know about Ubuntu, like I said, but CentOS 7 requires the installation of epel and webtatic for CentOS 7 in order to acquire (and easly update) version 7 of PHP.

Then there is DNS ... firewalls, other stuff ... so pick your poison and learn the antidotes.

Your Moodle, BTW, doesn't have to be on Ubuntu certain version ... that was a requirement for BBB.   There is a plugin for BBB in Moodle.   That plugin you config to point to the location of your BBB server.

Again ... 2 cent opinion ...

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

I use Debian and I really like it - very similar to Ubuntu and I updated the step by step installation doc for it so it should be pretty current.  I had never used Linux at all when I started with Moodle.  Just follow the docs and you should be fine but we are always here for help if needed.

In reply to Ken Task

by Alex A -

Hey all,

I can confirm that our (A2Hosting) shared web hosting services are compatible with Moodle and we do offer a 1 click script installer for Moodle.

When taking a look at BigBlueButton, it would seem root access is required so this woulIf you have any questions regarding our services feel free to reach out to me at alex@a2hosting.com and I'll be more than happy to assist wherever possible.

by Steven Chippendale -

This has now been taken out of my hands. The company has set up a Moodle instance on AWS using Bitnami, but making it clear that is isn't the route they wished to go down.

Moving forward, I may have to suggest a Moodle Partner, as they would much prefer a service which includes backups and a helpdesk, in turn suggesting that a SAAS learning platform would be the best option, not necessarily Moodle,

by Ron Meske -

Hello Steven,

I'm not sure why Ken seems to not be a fan of bitnami but there are other AMI's of just ubuntu for EC 2 as well as "official" ubuntu builds.

I have successfully run several Moodle sites on AWS sine Moodle 1.9. I have never had any unplanned down time, so as a service I have found AWS reliable.

Depending on the type of help you need there are AWS partners that can provide management and other services.  But not sure that you really need one.

Ron

In reply to Ron Meske

by Ken Task -

Only reason am not a 'fan of bitnami' is simple ... Bitnami provides all that one needs to run a Moodle ... that of Apache, MySQL, and PHP + the moodle that's one to two steps removed from the true source of those apps.   Don't think Bitnami has their own package manager (like Ubuntu's apt-get and CentOS's yum/rpm).  IF, for example, there has been a security issue with PHP and it should be updated/upgraded (like there has been for PHP 7), one cannot treat that separately from the other parts of the bitnami 'package' (at least that has been true in the past).   Now on Windows, none of that is native anyway so one has to get the entire package (if that's how they installed).   Microsoft provides no update channel/package manager for non-Microsoft software.   Same is true of MAMP.

To me, it makes no sense to install Bitnami on Linux when all Linuxes have apache, mysql/mariadb/php in their repos. One doesn't have to wait until Bitnami releases their fixed versions.

When it comes to BBB ... they don't recommend running BBB in any VM and they do recommend Ubuntu over CentOS (other).   Can speak from first hand experience that BBB on CentOS is not the way to go.

AMI's that are LTS versions of Ubuntu is the way to go, IMHO ... can use Ubuntu repos.

Think, in the long run, updating and upgrading will be easier IF one stays as close as one can to the services provided by the OS.    Nothing is, or ever has been (in my experience), 'install it once and forget it'.  Servers treated that way may as well call themselves a 'honey pot' for it's just a matter of time.  OP then is placed in a re-active mode ... not a good place to be, IMHO.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Ron Meske -

Thank you Ken for sharing your experience.

I completely agree with you about the updating part  I use their installs for evaluation of software but when it comes to setting up production servers will resort to the recommendations of the application I am installing as the bitnami images are not easily updatable when it comes to the applications themselves.

Ron

by Ron Meske -

Hello Steven,

I'm not sure why Ken seems to not be a fan of bitnami but there are other AMI's of just ubuntu for EC 2 as well as "official" ubuntu builds.

I have successfully run several Moodle sites on AWS sine Moodle 1.9. I have never had any unplanned down time, so as a service I have found AWS reliable.

Depending on the type of help you need there are AWS partners that can provide management and other services.  But not sure that you really need one.

Ron