Scorm pass / fail indicator

Scorm pass / fail indicator

by Paul Thrippleton -
Number of replies: 10

I am working with a Captivate scorm file which has a quiz in it and am trying to work out if the pass / fail status works.

To try and explain what I mean a bit clearer: 

In the 'Activity completion' section I have set a requirement for the student to achieve 90 to pass and 'Require status' - passed is ticked.

What I am wondering about is if the student fails the scorm quiz then shouldn't the activity indicator show as failed and if the student passes then it should show as completed and passed?

Testing this out, if a student tries the scorm quiz and gets 50% the activity is still marked as incomplete (not failed).  However if they do get 90% the activity is marked as complete (not passed).  

The grades are accurately tracking in the gradebook and from what I can see in the scorm debug logs the lesson status is sent to Moodle.

Should I be expecting scorm completion tracking to report pass or fail?  Or will it just report complete / incomplete?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Paul Thrippleton

Re: Scorm pass / fail indicator

by Sam Stevens -

For pass/fail competed/incomplete what is sent to moodle is set in captivate. You can tell it to send either set. Under Publish Settings > Quiz > Reporting

Is there actually a problem here? If they have passed they are marked as completed.

If you chose to use pass/fail or completed/incomplete can be a bit irrelevant as long as you match the SCORM activity requirements for completion. As ultimately it will be reported out as completed or not on the moodle activity conventions (unless you are doing something specifically looking at the scorm tracking table)

In reply to Sam Stevens

by Paul Thrippleton -

I think the problem I am having is that the passed / failed indicator isn't been registered by Moodle.  I have checked the Captivate file in the scorm cloud and can see that the file does indeed send the status of passed.

In Moodle's scorm log file I can see that the passed status is sent, however the completion setting doesn't pick it up.

You are right that if I set the completion requirement to a certain grade and if the student beats that mark then the lesson is marked as complete - however if there is a requirement for a certain grade and that the lesson is passed, then the activity is not marked as complete.

So for me having a grade requirement and a passed status is not working.  

by Sam Stevens -

So if it is getting Passed and putting it in the scorm table then that indicates there is something wrong with the activity settings. So for 80% pass with the status of Passed you would need.

Also just to check you are using scorm 1.2 on both ends?

In reply to Sam Stevens

by Paul Thrippleton -

That is how I have my activity completion setup.  I am using scorm 1.2.

I have tried producing files using Captivate 8 & 9.  In both cases I simply just created a blank project, added 10 question slides and changed the settings for the required passed/failed and grade requirement.  

The version of Moodle I am running is Moodle 3.0+ (Build: 20151204).

I have also checked the database and the lesson status seems to have tracked correctly.

Lesson status - database screenshot.

However the in the course page, if you hover over the completion status it still says not completed.  I have tested on a different Moodle (same version) on a different server and still get the same outcome, so I am going to try testing on a different Moodle version to see if that makes a difference.

by Sam Stevens -

Is your cron set up correctly?

Under Site Admin > Server > Scheduled Tasks > Calculate regular completion data What does it say? 

It should be set to ASAP and then be running as often as your cron is set up (in my case every minute so looking now the last one was a minute ago.)

In reply to Sam Stevens

by Paul Thrippleton -

It is set as follows:

Calculate regular completion data\core\task\completion_regular_taskCore
Thursday, 12 May 2016, 2:45 PMASAP*****

by Sam Stevens -

Bit of a head scratcher then. 

Just re-reading you say you get the same problems on other installs. Which to me suggests there is something wrong with the captivate publish. However if the lesson_status is being set to passed then that should be it.

What is the scorm table getting for cmi.core.score.max?

In reply to Sam Stevens

by Paul Thrippleton -

Certainly is!

The scorm table is getting 100 for cmi.core.score.max

The lesson status seems to just be a problem for determining pass status, as I uploaded a Captivate scorm file with the completion requirement of just complete and that works.

I am not sure if the fault lies in the Captivate file as in the scorm report there is a grade which is recognised as a pass:

Screenshot from scorm report

However this doesn't cascade down to the course area:

Screenshot of course area

I am hopefully going to get some time this week to test whether a different Moodle version has different results and will try a scorm package from a different authoring tool as well.

by Paul Thrippleton -

Just as an update, I have tested the same scenario on with a fresh install of Moodle 2.8 and also with a scorm file authored in Camtasia; unfortunately still the same result.

by Ron Meske -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Hi Paul,

It has been a while since I setup Captivates as SCORM courses but I seem to recall something about issues with the status settings.  Have you tried changing the Captivate course to pass Complete/Incomplete instead of Pass/Fail?  You still want to pass a score.

Once you change that you have to change your Completion settings to check for Complete instead of Passed.

Hope that helps,

Ron