Blocking a user private mesaages

Blocking a user private mesaages

by Richard Oelmann -
Number of replies: 6
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Can anyone tell me if there is a way to block an individual for sending me further private messages? 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Richard Oelmann

Re: Blocking a user private mesaages

by Richard Oelmann -

Ok - thank you. I've found it once I was on my laptop rather than mobile phone.

In reply to Richard Oelmann

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Dear Richard, 

You should do what I do and that is block everyone, and then pick and choose those who you know you can trust.

You need to take some time out from Moodle. It's great I know, but the bad times do hurt and can take a lot of time to heal.

It is so easy to get drawn into battle as though our own demons are wanting conflict that masks the real hurt we feel from past times that have not yet healed.

Take care.

Mary

Average of ratings: Cool (3)
In reply to Mary Evans

by Richard Oelmann -

Thanks Mary,

It's certainly one way to deal with things - although I do get PMs from individuals asking me for specific support for my themes, or for other things I have contributed and would prefer not to cut those communications off for the sake of one individual over the course of about 13 years smile

I guess I am prepared to put up with some of the unsolicited PM help requests (where they are relevant to me - some are not as always - and to redirect the others as appropriate smile ) as I generally come from a view point of trusting people to communicate appropriately when trying to support them and have only been let down by one individual in all that time. I have also received a number of PMs in support that I would not have received by closing them down to everyone but 'the few'.

So, on balance my feeling is I get far more positive out of those PMs than negative, just like the forums themselves - this is a wonderful community, supportive and welcoming, and although we get one or two occasional individuals who are the 'fly in the ointment' the positives FAR outweigh those few occurrences.

As always Mary, thank you for your advice and support, both are always much appreciated smile

Richard

In reply to Mary Evans

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

I disagree Mary, that's negative.  Over the years with the number of people I've communicated with I have only had cause to block four.  Why deny others the capability of contacting you just because of the actions of the few?

In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

You may consider it negative Gareth, but when a person needs to take 'Time Out' then as far as I am concerned it is by far the best option. Less hurt, less trauma.

At the end if the day, it depends on how hurt you are, if at all, or how hooked you are to Moodle forums, in which case carry on regardless. If on the other hand you have been hurt deep down, then it is an option to consider, if nothing else but to give one's self some breathing space, it does not have to be forever.

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Richard Oelmann -

Thank you to both of you - especially over the last couple of days.

I don't necessarily see it as a negative approach, just as a way of working that suits some individuals - and maybe some individuals at particular times and not others.

It is definitely an approach to consider at times, as Mary says, it may not be long term, it may not be for everyone. But we all have different ways of working and listening to how others work and learning from the community is always a positive in my book - we don't have to follow everything anyone says - in fact we can't because we'd often be going around in circles - but that doesn't mean the advice isn't sound at certain times and in certain circumstances and should be valued as such smile And is advice I will continue to keep in mind over the coming days and into the future!

Again, thank you to both of you - as well as everyone else in the fantastic community smile

Richard