How to Lock Video in Single Activity Format

How to Lock Video in Single Activity Format

by Hugh Edwards -
Number of replies: 7

Hello All

I'm using Moodle 2.9.2. I have a Single Activity Format where I'm using a File activity type to display a mp4 video. No matter what I seem to do I can't work out a way to stop the video being downloadable by the students. I don't want them to be able to do this due to copyright reasons - we have a license to watch but not download

It's possible that I'm not using the best format for this - could anyone shed any light on what might be the best way to achieve this? 

Thank you! 

Hugh. 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Hugh Edwards

Re: How to Lock Video in Single Activity Format

by Hugh Edwards -

Bump! 

In reply to Hugh Edwards

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

It cannot be done, nothing to do with Moodle, the web is an enormous copying device, not a computing device. Here are the first two results from a search 

https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=129340

https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=83022

In reply to Marcus Green

by Hugh Edwards -

Thanks Marcus. 

I'll do it in storyline I think as a scorm course. My question wasn't that it can never be downloaded - there's always a way...just that it's not easily downloadable. The player in Moodle just allows a right-click and a save as, which isn't much use at all. If people want to screencast, fine, but this is a paid webinar recording we are selling so I at least want to make it not uber-simple to download. 

Thanks for the link anyway - prompted the storyline idea. smile 

Hugh.

In reply to Hugh Edwards

by Dom F -

As  I have about 500 videos on our course I use embedding from a third party video hosting company Hugh. Sample course using this approach (not finished!!) http://tinyurl.com/zy32war

It is true that nothing is impossible, but making it harder is a good goal.  Even embedding can make the video rippable with various tools (mostoy progressive HTTP video streaming. If you host with a third party video CDN and opt for RTSP streaming then that is much much harder to do, but more expensive due to the technology behind it.

If you'd like to discuss further - I would be happy to share my experiences, feel free to DM,  if you're all sorted then no worries

In reply to Dom F

by Just H -

With a simple browser plugin the only thing affecting me downloading all your videos (other than ethics) is my download speed:

In reply to Just H

by Dom F -

Absolutely 0 just as has been said. If you want to prevent that sort of theft - you need to use RTSP (see my previous comment?)

In reply to Dom F

by Dom F -

P.S. Makse sure those "test files" are deleted as they're watermarked and we have expensive lawyers wink