Hiding a quiz from a group

Hiding a quiz from a group

by Dwight Souder -
Number of replies: 1

My school uses Moodle 2.7

I apologize for the newbie question, but I looked in the "Search" field to try to find the answer, but was unsuccessful.  So, I'm coming to the experts.  smile

Here is my scenario:  I have 2 groups of chemistry students (setup as Group 1 and 2 in Moodle).  I would like to give a "Quiz" that will probably take them a couple of days to complete.  I only want the students, who are currently in my class, to have access to the "Quiz".  When they are outside of my class, I do not want them to have access to the "Quiz".  

For example, my morning class (Group 1), when they come into my room, I want only that group to see the "Quiz" and not my afternoon class (Group 2).  When Group 1 leaves, I do not want any of the groups to see the "Quiz".  When Group 2 comes in, I want only them to see it and not Group 1.  When Group 2 leaves, I do not want any of the groups to see the quiz.  The following day, repeat the same process.

Below, my school's IT person came up with a way that may work, but it's very cumbersome and may be prone to greater difficulties...especially if a student was absent that day.  Instead, I was wondering if there was an easier way of doing this (see the original plan below).  It would be nice if it was as simple as setting the "Timing" for those 2 days and clicking on the "Hide" icon (eye with a slash through it) for each group to make the assignment viewable/unviewable for each group.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Sincerely,

Dwight

==============================================

Below is the procedures we figured I might have to use to make this work...please tell me there is a much easier way of doing this.  smile

Essentially Day 2 is going to be a retake, but should give the same effective result. You are closing the quiz when the day's windows closes and giving them another chance at it on the second day.

1. Set quiz to allow two (or more) attempts
2. Set your attempts so that each attempt builds on the last (yesterday's responses will still be present to build upon).
3. Set your Grading Method to "Highest Grade" so the combined completed score is recorded, not an average.
4. Set review options to prevent students from seeing results/answers at the end of day 1.
5. In group overrides, set the unique window for each group to test.

They will need to submit their quiz at the end of day 1 to have answers recorded. They are not saved until some action (check, submit, etc.) is taken by the user.

Average of ratings: -