Admin block hidden, still in the source....

Admin block hidden, still in the source....

by Rick Mason -
Number of replies: 3
Somewhat new to Moodle and the way things are done with it. 

I have both a staging and production server. I'm gearing up to retheme my moodle install and I'm doing some other things as a learning tool and as practice.

In my staging server the admin block is not showing up in the side panel. Yes I have the editing button turned on. In the html source that is output by oodle the admin block is in the html, however it has a class attached to it called "hidden" that is causing the block to not show up on the page.

I of course need this block to show up for admin users, but can't figure out what is causing the block to have the "hidden" class attached the div.

In addition, on the dropdown menu that allows me to add blocks, administration does not appear at all. The hiding and unhiding of blocks using the Add Block button works flawlessly for other blocks. However there is no Administration block in the menu for adding. Whats more, as I have stated above, the Administration Panel has a class="hidden" attached to it.

Is there a setting that I need to do that causes this to happen? I can't find anything in documentation or general searching yet.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Rick Mason

Re: Admin block hidden, still in the source....

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

What theme are you using? There are one or two themes that do hide the admin block as they provide alternatives (although that is usually as an optional setting - eg decaf & flexibase with the awesomebar)

The Admin block wont be on the Add a Block list if it is already on the page, but (for some reason) is hidden.

In reply to Richard Oelmann

by Rick Mason -

I'm using a custom Theme. It is called Genisys, idk maybe it isn't a custom Theme. I know I have to rewrite it at some point.

In any case I am trying to support this site at work, it is running perfectly in our production environment, but not in our staging environment. Yet the staging server was a direct copy of the production environment. Is there a place that is known in the code that the admininstration portion of the display blocks is actually written so I can get in and look at the code.

I of course am hoping to avoid adjusting the code. There may be a setting somewhere that I missed that causes this to happen. I just don't know where to look.

Thanks for the help

In reply to Rick Mason

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

The only Genesis theme I am aware of is a commercially sold one that I don't have any access to so would not be able to say if the issue is theme based. However, this may not be that theme if it is a fully custom theme, just happening to have a similar name.

Other than being hidden by the user (I presume you have checked that?) I can't think of anything in the core Moodle code that would hide the admin block and if the two instances are direct copies at least initially, then obviously something must have changed between them, such as a setting or role capability that is then causing the block to be hidden on the one instance.

One way to ensure the issue is not (or for that matter is) with the theme is to change your theme to Clean and see what happens then.

If everything then works correctly then the issue is with your custom theme.