Creating an on-line course Moodle 2.6+

Creating an on-line course Moodle 2.6+

by Mark Hardwick -
Number of replies: 6

We've been on Moodle now for around 6 years or so but we've only used the quizzes with our in-house courses.  I'm wanting to start a couple of courses on-line and I'm not real sure where to start. 

The course I'm thinking about starting with would have some text along with graphics and probably audio here and there.  I would also like to put some short video clips for specific topics when they click on them.  I'm open for any input on different ways to structure an on-line course. 

When I set up a course I've always added a quiz under the activity tab and I see many other options such as lesson etc.  When I click on lesson I see where I could build text but I'm not sure where to add the other stuff.

I know this is an elementary question for those of ya'll that build on-line courses all the time but if someone could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

A relative of mine has built courses in Moodle but she used a program that cost between 500 - 1,000 dollars.  It had characters' in it and everything else.  I don't mind spending this kind of money if there is a program that makes it easy to drop the items in it.  I wasn't to impressed with the characters' because they looked like a cartoon but maybe there's other options.  Has anyone heard of this approach?

Thanks for any input.

Mark       

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mark Hardwick

Re: Creating an on-line course Moodle 2.6+

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Have a look through the School demo site Mount Orange - it has examples of courses and if you look on the Teacher page (for example) or the Student page for example there are links to take you to examples of what you can do with activities in Moodle. You don't need to spend 500-1000 dollars learning a new program just because it has shiny animated characters when Moodle can do the same stuff for free.

Mount Orange school ( the site is used by people as a demo and is reset on the hour every hour - if it looks odd to you, it might be someone else is playing with it, so try again about five past the hour.

Click on the links that say "Teacher" or whichever you want and then you can see ideas which you can try if you log in with that role. There are examples of Lessons and you could log in as the teacher and break down the structure of the lesson to see how it works - knowing the site will be reset back to the original on the hour so you won't spoil it for anyone else.

The courses can also be downloaded and installed  on your own test site to try EXCEPT that your 2.6 is an out of date version so I wouldn't recommend it; they might not work. However, much of what you see in the activities you can do with your 2.6 Moodle.

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

You could also look out for the next time Mary is running the LearnMoodle MOOC as that has proved very successful

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

For examples, you can also go to http://hub.moodle.org/ and search for courses. Many are available for download so if you have access to a development site, you can try them out. Some will also let you visit a demo version of the course.

by Mark Hardwick -

Thanks a bunch,

That points me in a good direction.  I'll take some time and work with the trial site and it's good to know you can't mess it up.  Thanks for the input.

Mark

by Usman Asar -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Moodle has it's own capability to go beyond expectations, all comes down to the course designer, Your relative must be using Lectora inspire, for it has caricatures as well as real life characters, but it always depend on your target audience, if kids, then of course cartoons would be more suitable for teaching/learning.

you can as well have a look at Articulate Studio, Articulate storyline, Adobe presenter, Composica and iSpring, Do your research and see which one suits you better., as these are Tools, that do not provide platform but content that can be embedded in moodle.

In reply to Usman Asar

by Mark Hardwick -

Thanks for the comment.  I'll look through those programs but it sounds like Moodle by itself is plenty.  Just trying to get an idea if on of these would help.