Wildcard Response for Numerical Question in a Lesson?

Wildcard Response for Numerical Question in a Lesson?

by Naomi Wade -
Number of replies: 2

Hello all,

I need some help with Response options for a Numerical question in a Moodle Lesson. I teach math and after introducing a topic I am having students try to problem.  I have set the Question type to be Numerical.  I have set Answer 1 as the correct answer and provided a Response (Jump to the Next Page). I have anticipated other common mistakes and put in those answers as Answers 2-5 with constructive Responses corresponding to each of those answers and a chance to try again (Jump to This Page).  The problem I need help with is that sometimes students are just way off the mark and they don’t enter any answer that matches my prescribed answers. I still want to offer them a helpful response and chance to try again.  I have tried using a wildcard * as that unknown answer, but it is not working for me. All that happens is that the page gets kicked back to the question again, with no explanation—which can go on for an infinite loop.  I would appreciate suggestions on how to be able to offer a response with an unknown answer and also how to create a way for students to get out of a loop if they are stuck at a problem and can’t go on.  I am using Moodle 2.7.8.

I appreciate you in advance. ~Naomi

p.s. I uploaded an image of the possible answers for 4, 5 & 6 so you can see what I am talking about.  All of my responses work except for 6.

Attachment Capture.PNG
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Naomi Wade

Re: Wildcard Response for Numerical Question in a Lesson?

by Miro Iliaš -

Dear Naomi,

please try -100000:+100000 for the 'error-catching' answers, or even bigger numbers.

Average of ratings:Useful (1)
In reply to Miro Iliaš

by Naomi Wade -

Thank you!  It worked!

Sent: Wednesday, May 25, 2016 5:45 AM
To: Naomi Wade <naomi.wade@avtec.edu>
Subject: Moodle in English: Re: Wildcard Response for Numerical Question in a Lesson?

Image removed by sender. Picture of Miro Iliaš

by Miro Iliaš - Wednesday, May 25, 2016, 5:14 AM

Dear Naomi,

please try -100000:+100000 for the 'error-catching' answers, or even bigger numbers.

You can reply to this via email.