Integrating the Question Bank to the Lesson Module

Integrating the Question Bank to the Lesson Module

von Joseph Thibault -
Anzahl Antworten: 9
Nutzerbild von Particularly helpful Moodlers Nutzerbild von Plugin developers Nutzerbild von Testers

One top-voted projects in the first official development cycle for the Moodle Users Association was enhancing the Lesson Module by integrating it to the existing Moodle Question Bank. As a general idea, I think this makes great sense and would enhance the options for additional question types to be leveraged within the Lesson (and for questions to be shared across both modules). 

It does raise a few questions, primarily how branching might be handled with questions from the Question Bank. 

Has anyone thought through this? 

One option would be an additional field displayed on question items if/when they are used in the Lesson (which do not appear when they are used in a quiz).

I've done a very rough draft of how screens might look if we were utilizing the same forms and selection options as are used in the quiz now (apologies for the low-quality "wireframes"): https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1ukBqOy0tCbBblUKPT9Tj96RGSvNj35tnKiDPQRvTxEo/edit?usp=sharing

Mittelwert:Useful (2)
Als Antwort auf Joseph Thibault

Re: Integrating the Question Bank to the Lesson Module

von Tim Hunt -
Nutzerbild von Core developers Nutzerbild von Documentation writers Nutzerbild von Particularly helpful Moodlers Nutzerbild von Peer reviewers Nutzerbild von Plugin developers

I have thought about this in the past (off and on since the idea of using questions from the question bank in Lesson was first suggested more than 10 years ago.)

How the logic should work

I think there are basically three approaches to consider:

A) For some question types, the values returned by the methods $question->classify_response and $qtype->get_possible_responses.

If you want to understand these methods, they are currently only used by the quiz statistics report, to do the response analysis. However, they would also be useful here, for branching by choices in multiple-choice questions, or true/false. It could also be used for short-answer questions which have been set up to recognise various different right or wrong answers.

It will not work for questions with multiple parts (e.g. a matching question) because there is not single value to base the branch on.

B) So, another option that would work for any question type, is simply to offer a three-way  branch based on whether the response is correct, partially correct or wrong.

C) The third option is to decide that neither of these options is good enough, and instead add a new API to the question system.

As question bank component maintainer, I think supporting the question bank in the lesson is sufficiently important that it is worth changing the core question system if necessary to make it work well. However, currently I think options A) and B) are all we need. I am just putting this on record, because we may find as we analyse the design further that A) or B) are not enough for some reason. I just want to make it clear that one should not give up at that point.

How the UI should look

The only point I want to make here is that I don't think you should add lesson-specific stuff to the question editing form. First they are complicated enough already, and also if you did, it would not be possible to move a question from a quiz to the lesson, because it would be missing the extra settings that the lesson expects.

Instead, I think you should separate out the step where you create the question (which should not change at all from how you currently create questions in a quiz or in the question bank) for the business of linking questions together.

Instead, the page where you assemble the lesson, then that needs to show the possible outcomes for each question (as determined by one of A-C above) and then let you control which way to branch for each possible outcome.

What about question behaviours?

Have you thought about question behaviours? I would say that the lesson should take note of them, and should offer the user a choice of any behaviour where can_questions_finish_during_the_attempt returns true.

Random questions?

I think randomisation in the Lesson is already served by clusters. Therefore, any further consideration of randomisation at this time would get in the way of the key focus here, which is to let lesson use any question from the question bank. Therefore, I would rule that bit clearly out-of-scope for this project.

I hope that helps. I am happy to discuss this more, either here, or in something like a Google hangout. However, I am quite busy at the moment, and will have more time in a couple of weeks.

Als Antwort auf Tim Hunt

von Joseph Thibault -
Nutzerbild von Particularly helpful Moodlers Nutzerbild von Plugin developers Nutzerbild von Testers

Tim, this is great. I know there has been a lot of thinking already put into this so all of your thoughts are much appreciated in creating a solid project plan and path forward. 

Cheers!

von Ray Lawrence -
It would be great if this could happen, I've been excited about the prospect since Moodle 1.6. A common question creation interface for Lesson will be a massive step towards getting this module to where it needs to be to meet expectations in 2016.

von Tim Hunt -
Nutzerbild von Core developers Nutzerbild von Documentation writers Nutzerbild von Particularly helpful Moodlers Nutzerbild von Peer reviewers Nutzerbild von Plugin developers

No worries. If it would help for me to translate what I said about the response analysis APIs (classify_response) into something closer to plain-English, could give it a go. Just let me know if it is necessary.

Als Antwort auf Tim Hunt

von Joseph Thibault -

Tim, that may be necessary. I have pulled together the feedback I got from here and on the MUA site, I think we have a good draft but I don't doubt that your familiarity with the Question Bank and Quiz will be invaluable to any changes for the Lesson to utilize the Question bank. 

Cheers, 

Joe

von Elton LaClare -

Although I have nothing specific to add in terms of how best to integrate the question bank into the Lesson, I would like to add my voice to those who believe this would be a terrific development for a module that has great potential. Now if we could just persuade Juan to make it available on the Moodle Mobile app...

Als Antwort auf Elton LaClare

von Albert Leatherman -

Integrating the question bank with the lesson module would open a lot of doors for my classes. In particular, I think it would be helpful to building adaptive tests, especially if there were an option in lesson to use a question that has not yet been seen in any clusters, not just the current cluster, as described here: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=338037#p1362714. Thanks.

Als Antwort auf Albert Leatherman

von Elton LaClare -

I agree that having a wider range of question types would be a huge boost to the Lesson module. If you followed the developments of the Moodle Users' Association last year, you might have noticed that making the entire suite of question types available to the Lesson Module was one of their proposed projects. (Actually it was the project that received the most votes in member balloting). Unfortunately, the cost and complexity of project led the Association to choose a different undertaking (a revamped Dashboard, I believe). I still think there's a lot of hunger for this among Moodle users, so it's good to continue discussing it in the forums...    

Als Antwort auf Elton LaClare

von Stephen Bourget -
Nutzerbild von Core developers Nutzerbild von Plugin developers Nutzerbild von Testers

I just submitted a scaled back version of Joseph's MUA project proposal from a year ago for the next round of MUA projects.  It focuses specifically on the Question bank integration and excludes pieces such as the drag / drop interface redesign.  MUA members can view the project proposal here: https://moodleassociation.org/mod/page/view.php?id=445