Moodle Administrator for Beginners

Moodle Administrator for Beginners

by Andrew Nimeck -
Number of replies: 4

INTRODUCTION

Greetings, 

I am a Learning & Development Professional trying to learn the Back-End of Moodle. I am attempting to use only my laptop to design an online university in order to gain a better understanding of LMS systems operate from start to finish. 

THE QUESTION

Do I need to install XAMPP package prior to installing moodle? 

Should I install a Bitnami Moodle bundle? 

Should I have a prior Bitnami bundle installed prior to installing the Bitnami-Moodle Bundle?

Do I require 3 servers? Local, Test, Production? Or can I do everything I need on my laptop which I assume is a Local Server?

WHERE DO I START smile 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Andrew Nimeck

Re: Moodle Administrator for Beginners

by Dr. Indira Koneru -

Hi Andrew,

No need to install XAMPP. Just download Windows package from here.

1. Unpack it
  2. start the web server by clicking on the "Start Moodle.exe" 
  3. Start your web browser and type localhost
  4. Set language
  5. Click Next .... buttons
  6. On the database configuration screen, give password
  7. Click Next and Continue buttons until you reach Administrator user profile screen
  8. Save and add Front page information
  9. Save changes

Detailed installation instructions are available here.

You may find" Guide for new administrators" useful.

Happy Moodling!

Indira

In reply to Dr. Indira Koneru

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

I seriously suggest you NOT use Xampp, use the Bitnami stack, it is a lot less resource hungry and better supported. Watch for the Skype listening port, change it to port 443, if you need to. 

Moodle requires the server environment to work properly, you can use the laptop as a local server, if you choose, but not really a good idea. Best bet is to use your laptop as a test Moodle and in a proper server, use that as your production site. Anything you want to do with your production Moodle, do it to the test server first. Add in new plugins, updates, upgrades, and hacking, as there can be some things to hack when you upgrade (max login times and such). This makes things go smoother, and makes you look like you know what you are doing if they work first time when you change your production Moodle..smile    

In reply to Colin Fraser

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Thats interesting Colin about the Bitnami stack, I have been a longtime user of Xampp and recently started the switch to wampp as it seemed an easy way to get PHP7, but I should look at Bitnami.

In reply to Andrew Nimeck

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

I reccomend you start here

https://moodle.com/cloud/

Keep on with the local install and exploring that, but you will be administering your own courses in about 10 minutes from now if all goes well.