Assignment rubric converted to scale

Assignment rubric converted to scale

by Matt Polaniecki -
Number of replies: 7
Hi! I am using Moodle 3.0.

I created an assignment using a Rubric for the grading. There are 9 criteria, with criterion ranging from 0-1. I also created a course scale to be Unsatisfactory, Satisfactory.

If a user gets a "1", in all nine criteria, I want this to be reflected as "Satisfactory". If a user gets anything less than a perfect score, I want it to be "Unsatisfactory".

How can I set the grade criteria for a scale? Is this even possible?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Matt Polaniecki

Re: Assignment rubric converted to scale

by Kim Salinas -
Picture of Testers

Hi Matt

Set your Assignment grade Type setting to Scale and the Scale setting to the Unsatisfactory, Satisfactory scale and it should do what you want it to.

Steps are Assignment administration > Edit settings > Grade > Type (set to Scale) > Scale (set to the Unsatisfactory scale) > Save and return to course or Save and display.

In reply to Kim Salinas

by Matt Polaniecki -

Thank you so much Kim for responding. I have that part figured out, it's the grade to pass that seems to be an issue. 

The assignment is not properly calculating the grade to pass, or it's not treating "Unsatisfactory" as a "fail". 

To explain, if there are 9 criteria, how do I set Satisfactory to trigger if ONLY all 9 criteria were "1"?  RIght now, if I select 7 criteria as "1" it still triggers Satisfactory. 

Does this make sense? Thank you for helping with this. 

by Kim Salinas -
Picture of Testers

Hi Matt, I apologize for the misunderstanding. The system is giving the Satisfactory due to the majority of the criteria as passing. Things you could try... would be to make a scale with more than two parameters (no answer, unsatisfactory, pretty close, satisfactory) and then set the grade to pass at 4.

You could also switch over to a point system.

Svar: Re: Assignment rubric converted to scale

by Simon Heissler -

Hi Matt

a) create your rubric (with 9 criteria and where 9 points is max grade and grade for satisfactory), choose grading method "rubric" in the assignment

b) choose the Grade in the assignment (your satisfactory scale)

c) go to the gradebook/setup/edit settings of your assignment (actions column)/show more/set the "grade to pass" to 9

should work

In reply to Simon Heissler

Re: Svar: Re: Assignment rubric converted to scale

by Matt Polaniecki -
This is what I have set up in Moodle. I believe Kim is right about Moodle giving a passing grade based on the majority, not a max score. For some reason, Moodle wont let me set a max score higher than 2. What are you suggesting?

Thank you for your assistance!

Rubric
Criteria 1
0 1
Criteria 2
0 1
Criteria 3
0 1
Criteria 4
0 1
Criteria 5
0 1
Criteria 6
0 1
Criteria 7
0 1
Criteria 8
0 1
Criteria 9
0 1

Svar: Re: Svar: Re: Assignment rubric converted to scale

by Simon Heissler -

mmh - got the same result when testing. up to 4 points =unsatisfactory, above 5 points satisfactory. some more information here? https://docs.moodle.org/30/en/Rubrics#Grade_calculation

In reply to Simon Heissler

Re: Svar: Re: Svar: Re: Assignment rubric converted to scale

by Matt Polaniecki -

Here is the problem, it says it below the Rubric description.

"If a scale is used instead of a grade, the score will be converted to the scale elements as if they were consecutive integers. "

So that explains why the max score would be 2, because there are only 2 elements. This is a problem.

So what needs to happen is that the passing grade needs to be converted to an outcome. If score = 18, Satisfactory. If <18, Unsatisfactory.

How can I automatically convert a grade to an Outcome in the gradebook? Is that possible?