Moodle 2.6 Apache Event MPM

Moodle 2.6 Apache Event MPM

by Juan C. -
Number of replies: 1

Hello,

currently I´m administring a Moodle 2.6 with high load traffic and I would to improve the server performance.
    Do you have any recommendation about usage of Apache Event MPM with PHP-FPM with this version of Moodle?
    Apache Event MPM recomendations in Moodle documentantation only appears in version 2.7 onwards.

I´m using:
PHP 5.3.3 with APC: Executed as a Apache module.
Apache 2.2: runing as MPM prefork

Thank you smile

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Juan C.

Re: Moodle 2.6 Apache Event MPM

by Paul Verrall -

Hi Juan,

Event MPM and FPM would have appeared in the Moodle Docs only once it began to be considered truly stable (e.g. being included in major Linux distributions as default), and hence it was probably not suitable before reached Moodle 2.7.

This is nothing to do with Moodle supporting it though and doesn't mean it wouldn't be suitable  for lower versions of Moodle :D

Be cautious though as this is a fairly radical change to your setup and will need changes to your apache config and an informed review of the FPM defaults . You said it's a high load site so make sure you test it all rather than just dropping it in place.

Asides from this I feel I need to mention that Moodle 2.6 is out of support and if you plan on doing something as radical as a move to Event MPM and FPM then an upgrade to a maintained version of Moodle is perhaps worth considering also.