General plugins

Completion Progress block

My mug
Completion Progress block
Group Core developersGroup Moodle Course Creator Certificate holdersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Plugin developersGroup Testers

Hi, all.

I've been working on the Progress Bar for a number of years, motivated by the feedback provided by the community. Before Moodle 2.0 there was little choice of how to gather data about activities in a course without snooping in database tables. This approach, however, is prone to problems, including compatibility concerns and efficiency issues.

I have therefore started a new version of the Progress Bar that relies entirely on completion called Completion Progress. This block will have the same look and feel as the Progress Bar, but will not longer have compatibility problems and will be vastly more efficient. It will also be much easier to configure, working "out-of-the-box" by relying on the settings for activity completion. Unfortunately, the new version is not backwards-compatible with the Progress Bar, so I've created it as a new plugin.

I welcome testing of this new plugin. You can download an early version of the plugin from the following link. The plugin should work with Moodle 2.7 and beyond.

https://github.com/deraadt/moodle-block_completion_progress/archive/master.zip

I hope people find useful and simple to use. I look forward to your feedback.

Average of ratings: Useful (7)
Picture of Richard Wallace
Re: Completion Progress block

Michael

Great work mate, amazing, works beautifully on a Moodle3.0.3+ site  I am developing.

Fresh look, good to have all activities activated by default (ability to just select a few is simple as well).

Scales nicely on mobile devices.

Very smooth.

Cheers

Richard Wallace

Average of ratings: -
My mug
Group Core developersGroup Moodle Course Creator Certificate holdersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Plugin developersGroup Testers

Thanks for the response, Richard.

If anyone else has tested this, it would be great to hear the outcome.

Michael

First bug, I just went to add a label and this error made the course disappear...

Fatal error: Call to a member function out() on a non-object in /home/wwdadcom/public_html/moodle/blocks/completion_progress/lib.php on line 185

I had just copied a "label" that had a "Restrict access" logic on it initially, which I think caused the "white screen", as once I deleted the labelo, and then re enabled the completion progress block, the course worked again.

Cheers

Richard

My mug

Thanks, Richard. 

I'll see if I can reproduce that soon. 

My mug

Hi, all.

I've created a new version that fixes the label issue and a number of other inconsistencies.

I've done some further testing and I'm going to put this forward to the Plugins directory soon. In the meantime I'm calling the current version on Github (link in the initial post on this discussion) a release candidate (with that maturity level in the version.php file) and I'd still appreciate your feedback.

Picture of Mike Condardo

Hi Michael,

I installed the Completion Progress block on my sandbox test site using Moodle 3.0. It has worked very well so far. As we are preparing to set-up our Moodle 3.0 for the fast-approaching new school year, I would like to know if I can put your plug-in into production. And if so, which version should I be using? It a wonderful item for those people that are "visual" and gives them just what they need to know in a glance.

Thank you for your work on this!!!

Mike

My mug

Thanks for the feedback, Mike. That's encouraging to hear.

I am planning to submit the plugin to the Plugins Directory. I will bring change the version maturity to STABLE when I do. I will try to do that later this week and the process will probably take a few weeks.

In the meantime, as long as you are confident in your testing, you can start using the code in production. When I release a new version and future versions it will continue working.

Picture of Mike Condardo

Hi Michael,

I came across a question today by my team regarding Groups. I have nine (9) total groups in this particular course so I am having to create nine Completion Progress blocks with each limited to seeing just one particular group. Is there a way to do something similar to the "Restrict Access" function in an Activity where I can have just one block and only visible to the Group/Grouping given permission in that course?

Thanks,

Mike

My mug

Hi, Mike. 

If you have activities that are only visible to one group then they will only appear in the Progress Bar block for students in that group (and anyone who can see all groups). Try it out. 

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

Michael

I have installed on the latest version of Moodle 3.1 and label issue has disappeared, well done, thanks.

Every thing else looks great.

Cheers Richard

Re: Completion Progress block - pass grades for actuivities not getting picked up

Michael

Love the block, but just realised that if an activity/quiz etc has a "grade to pass" set in the gradebook, so say 80%, then this is not then picked up by the block, and so will show an activity as being complete, when in actual fact it is not.

Cheers Richard

My mug
Re: Completion Progress block - pass grades for actuivities not getting picked up

Hi, Richard.

The block relies on what the completion system tells it; all it knows is complete/incomplete with an exception for submitted in assignments/workshops. Is it judged as complete in the completion report?

Michael

No, it does not pick up on the "grade to pass" set within the activity, as the gradebook does.

So If I make an online assignment and set that to have a pass mark of 80%, then in teh gradebook, it will show this as being red (not passed) under 80% and green (passed) 80% and above.

This is then not reflected in your block.  Cheers Richard

My mug

Thanks, Richard.

I see the problem now. The activity is seen as complete according to the completion settings for the activity, but there is still a distinction between pass and fail alongside completion, which is shown in the Activity completion report.

When I have time I'll add a query for that. Feel free to create a bug in the Moodle Tracker.

Michael

We have actually changed teh code to reflect this in your block, if you would like to see that?

We also ahve added an option to show completion of "grade categories" in teh course which we have found very useful.

let me know if you would like to see our solution.

Cheers Richard,  love your work as this will make life much simpler for our students and staff.

My mug

Hi, Richard.

I'd be grateful if you would share your customisations. You could share them via the Git repository or through a Tracker issue. It's probably best if you don't share them here in the forum.

My mug

I've submitted this new plugin to the Plugins Directory.

Hopefully it will be approved soon.

Ray Lawrence
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

Hi Michael,

Was this approved? I haven't been able to locating in Plugins.

My mug

Hi, Ray.

Unfortunately it hasn't been approved yet. I'm not sure why.

I'll see if I can follow this up.

Ray Lawrence

That would be great, thanks,

Ray Lawrence

That would be great, thanks,

My mug

I'm happy to say the Completion Progress block has been approved in the Plugins Directory. 

https://moodle.org/plugins/block_completion_progress

I'm yet to add the pass/fail logic and I'm going to shift some issues from the Progress Bar block to this new plugin. 

My goal is to transition users to this new block over time. 

Picture of Germán Valero
Group Documentation writersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Plugin developersGroup TestersGroup Translators

Hi Michael,

Congratulations on your new plugin approval!

I had a problem when I tried to translate your new plugin in AMOS. I created an issue in the GitGub tracker.

My mug

Hi, German.

The cause for this might be the following issue. I'll resolve that and republish and I hope that it will push to AMOS properly.

https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/CONTRIB-6497

Michael

My mug

Hi again, German.

I've uploaded a new version to the Plugins Directory (and Git) and the strings were sent to AMOS, ready for translation.

Enjoy!

Picture of Simon Bertoli

Great Plugin Michael!

Just wondering (this is quick out of the blocks) do we have any plans to incorporate configuration with h5p content? 

Both this and your plugin are very new so I am not expecting this right now... but I have just installed and created an interactive video that creates a grade in the gradebook but its not being picked up in the progress bar configuration page.

Anyway great work so far!

S

Philip Roy

Hi Michael,

Catalyst IT (our Moodle host) installed this on our Moodle 3.0 site last night. Dan says he spotted a small issue related to groups that he's reported to you?

Just wondering (as I can't seem to find an answer)...in one of our courses we have an assignment that students submit, and then we open up the assignment again for a chance to re-submit. Many choose not to, and some do. We don't change the submission dates at all, we just "Allow another attempt" across all students.

For a student who has submitted their assignment on time and chooses not to re-submit, is the completion tool going to show green or red? Worried it might be red?

Cheers,

Phil

My mug

Hi, Phil.

I haven't seen an issue coming from Dan, but if he says there's  problem, there probably is.

The Completion Progress block follows completion as the activity defines it and adds an additional state, which is submitted. For Assignment, if you ask students to resubmit, I believe it will be blue or red (past due) until they submit again.

Philip Roy

Drat smile Completely understand, but I know that's going to cause an issue for us...I will have to have a think thoughtful

Phil

Picture of Dan Marsden
Group Core developersGroup Moodle Course Creator Certificate holdersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Plugin developersGroup Plugins guardiansGroup TestersGroup Translators

Here it is:

https://github.com/deraadt/moodle-block_completion_progress/issues/3

I didn't actually reproduce an issue in the UI - just noticed it when doing a quick review of the code.

My mug

Hi, Simon.

One of the good things about the Completion Progress block (unlike the Progress Bar) is that it works with all activities that support completion. If able to set completion on the activity, it should be possible to see it in the bar. If you can't set completion, you might need to talk to the developers of the activity.

Picture of Dave Emsley

Hi Michael,

This is a great idea, a good progression from the Progress Bar.  However I've installed in on a Moodle 2.9.2 and find that the scroll doesn't work for a long course.  Wrap works fine with 3 rows of blocks.

Cheers

Dave

My mug

Hi, Dave. 

It could be there is a style conflict with another plugin, possibly a block, or there could be a JavaScript problem. I'd try removing other blocks to see if that makes a difference. Also, turn on the browser console (F12), switch to the JS tab and see if any errors come up. If you spot anything, please post an issue on the tracker. 

Picture of Dave Emsley

Hi Michael,

Looking at the code with FireBug it looks like this:

div id="yui_3_17_2_2_1475668618746_4116" class="barContainer">
<svg class="left-arrow-svg" width="30" height="30" style="display: none;">
<polygon class="triangle-polygon" points="30,0 0,15 30,30">

</svg>
<svg class="right-arrow-svg" width="30" height="30" style="display: block; right: 5px;">
<polygon class="triangle-polygon" points="0,0 30,15 0,30">

</svg>
<div id="yui_3_17_2_2_1475668618746_4115" class="barRow" style="white-space: nowrap;">

I can see why the left arrow is hidden.  Right one should show and it does seem that the location is there:  

None of the CSS gives an indication as to why the pointer is missing.  However add an arbitrary z-index to the arrow and it appears. 

.block_completion_progress .left-arrow-svg, .block_completion_progress .right-arrow-svg {
    display: none;
    position: absolute;
    top: calc(50% - 15px);
    z-index:999;

}

Not sure how useful this information is but it worked for me so I thought it best to post it.

Cheers

Dave

Mark

Hi all,

We have had the Progress Completion Block installed on our site yesterday but have the following error when clicking the "Overview of students"

error image

We are running:

Moodle 3.0.4

block: Completion Progress 2016090500

We have used the original Progress Bar for some time and is still installed... could there be a conflict?
... Does the original Progress Bar need to be uninstalled before using Completion Progress block?

Our host is currently investigating from their end, and has temporarily uninstalled the Completion Progress Block

Hope you can assist.

Cheers

Mark

My mug

Hi, Mark.

There should not be a conflict between the two blocks.

The error message doesn't give me much to go on. You could look into the server error log to see if there is more information there. Temporarily turning on debugging on the site may reveal more information. If you do find more clues, please post an issue on the Moodle Tracker and I'll look into it.

Picture of Dale Musselman

I am having a very similar issue using Moodle 2.7.3 - this is hosted with a moodle partner.

They had installed Progress Bar for us, and I tried it out on a few course pages and My Home, but then I saw the notice about switching to Completion Progress, so had them install it as well.

After adding removing instances of Progress bar, and adding Completion Progress and trying to go the the course page, I got a blank page with just the message: ""error reading from database". The same was true for the My Home page. Completion Progress is now removed and we are back to testing Progress Bar, but the newer block has some clear advantages for us.

Our host's support has offered no insight into what they think might be the issue.

Dale

Picture of Emma Richardson
Group Documentation writersGroup Particularly helpful Moodlers

Thanks for all your work on this.  This is probably more of a general block question but maybe someone here knows the answer.  I wanted to add the progress bar to all my courses.  So, as normal, I added it to the front page and then went into the course and set it to show on all main course pages.

The problem I am having is that the block picks up the permissions from the original front page location and so my customized view only role that I have for course proctors does not allow them to see the block in the course because the role does not apply to the front page.  So, even though I check permissions for the block in the course and it shows that the proctor role has permission to view the block and reports, they cannot see because they are not a proctor on the front page.

Has anyone found a way around this, other than manually adding it to every course?

Guido
Group Moodle Course Creator Certificate holdersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Plugin developers

You ask some thing different, but there is an option to set default blocks in the config.php. How to set default blocks is explained in config-dist.php, a file in the moodle root folder.

This will only effect new courses.

The completion_progress_block is fresh and young - so may be it can be extended in the direction you suggested. I think it is a normal requirement.

Picture of Emma Richardson
Group Documentation writersGroup Particularly helpful Moodlers

Right - I am wanting to add it to all existing courses.

Picture of Jason Lane

Hello all, thanks Michael for your work on this. Is there a simple way to disable the onclick="[url]" in the output (via css, etc) so we can prevent students from clicking on links to quizzes they should not see yet?

Thank you,

Jason (using M2.8)

My mug

Hi, Jason.

The block should only be linking to activities that are accessible as defined by hiding and activity restrictions. The link visibility should be the same as that shown in the course. If that's not the case, please raise an issue in the tracker with steps to replicate and I'll see if I can find out what's going on.

Picture of Sean Ford

Hi Michael,

I really like this block!  Am I missing how to apply it site-wide without having to enable per user?

My mug

Hi, Sean.

Here is some information about adding blocks site-wide.

https://docs.moodle.org/31/en/Block_settings#.27Sticky_blocks.27

Picture of Mark Hayes

Hi Michael - Very eager to try M3.2; is the plugin 3.2-ready?

Picture of Rob Monk

Can I set a pass mark on an Assignment?

On the old progress bar we could set a pass mark on the Assignment module then when students submitted the assignment the bar would go Yellow. (Handed in but not assessed yet). The teacher would mark the assignment and if the student reached the passing grade the bar would go green. If they didn't it would go red. Is this possible with completion Progress?

With the progress bar you could have more than one progress bar on your course. Is this possible with completion progress?

We've gone a bit backwards here as we have to now set the assignment due date and the expected completion date. Why have to do that twice?

My mug

Hi, Rob.

Yes, you can use pass marks still. Set a pass mark as normal then set your activity completion setting to use that. There's also still a special extra that shows submission in yellow.

You can have more than one instance of the Completion Progress block and select the relevant activities for each in the block settings.

It would be nice if Activity Completion understood activities like Assignment a little better and allowed you to lock the expected date to the due date. Unfortunately I can't control that from the block, but perhaps someone could put up a fix for that.

Michael

My mug

Hi, Mark.

I've been working with it under the latest 3.2 branch and it seems to be working as expected. I'm implementing a few changes and hope to have a new version out soon, but in the meantime, you can use the latest version on 3.2.

Michael

Picture of Mark Hayes

Thanks Michael, good to know.

Picture of Scott Wilson

Hi Michael

I hope you are well. I use the older progress bar although this plugin appears very similar. The option for showing inactive users in overview doesn't appear to work? Or is there a certain way to view this?

I have a bunch of students whose enrolment has finished and would like to see what progress they had made before being unenrolled. Any ideas?

Many Thanks for your help.

Scott.

Picture of Scott Wilson

Apologies, a second question if that's okay smile

I'm creating a configurable report where I can view a list of users on a course. Is it possible to use the progression bar percentage as a column field? It would be extremely handy to combine just the percentage with other parts of a report.

Scott.

My mug

Hi, Scott.

For the inactive students, there is a global setting in Site admin > Plugins > Blocks > Completion Progress. If that's not working, please create an issue in the tracker with replication steps and I'll see what I can do.

In terms of using the functionality of the block in other areas of Moodle, you can load the lib.php file from the block's directory to get access to the functions there. That might achieve what you want.

Picture of Yuka Chen

Hi Michael,

first of all thank you for your great work. I am new to Moodle and now we have encountered a situation, say, a student has attempted 3/5 modules and completed 2/5 in a course, the rest 2 modules are not visible to him yet because he has not completed the 3rd module due to the access restrictions. So these last 2 modules would not be calculated, the progress bar will show (2 / 3 =) 67% although he has actually completed only (2 / 5 =) 40% of all the activities. I wonder if it's possible to display such unaccessible activities in the progress bar without links? 

To some extend, accessiblity and visibility are different concepts, so I think unaccessible activities could also be visible, just have no idea if Moodle supports it.

Look forward to your reply and wish you a happy new year in advance!

Picture of Yuka Chen

Hello,

I've thought about this for a while and I suppose hidding unvisible activities is still more reasonable. Now my another question is, if it's possible for us to access the configuration data of your plugin-in, so that we could get the values directly from Completion Progress block? 

Best regards,

Yuka

Picture of Valerio Marte

I've partially changed the strings translation but I cannot see any changes when I access to my moodle.

For example:

$string['coursenametoshow'] = 'Course name to show on Dashboard'

translated (italian)

$string['coursenametoshow'] = 'Nome del corso da mostrare nella Dashboard'

When I check my moodle the translation is non changed at all....

Picture of Marcus Green
Group Core developersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Plugin developersGroup Testers

Have you run admin/purgecaches.php

My mug

Hi, Valerio.

I suggest undertaking a translation through the web interface rather than altering language strings manually. If you are going to work in the lang files, be sure that you are editing the file in the directory that matches your language and you might want to set $CFG->langstringcache = 0;

Michael

Picture of Valerio Marte

Hi Michael,

thanks for your quick reply. Thanks.

I'd like to know if, changing $CFG->langstringcache = 0;  could break something in my moodle configuration with other plugins, since I don't know what could change with this string. You suggest me to create an "it" folder inside the translation subfolder of your plugin and then should I add $CFG->langstringcache = 0; to my config.php?

Picture of Ishani Vardhan

Hi Michael,

I have installed your block for Moodle 3.0 and all looks good so far.

Does it work for Category completion as well?

Like for example if I have

Category 1

Course 1 > Activity 1, 2, 3, ... n
     Course 2 > Activity 1, 2, 3, ... n
     Course 3 > Activity 1, 2, 3, ... n

Then can I have a completion progress block at Category level to tell me what courses under that category has been completed? Or if not any other way this can be achieved ?

Let me know. 

Thanks in advance.

My mug

Hi, Ishani.

Sorry, but the block only looks at completion at the course level.

Picture of Ishani Vardhan

Right, thanks for replying back Michael!

Picture of Reginaldo Polesi

Olá Michael de Raadt

Fiz instalação da Version for Moodle 2.7 onwards (2016090500)

No Moodle 3,2. 

• instalação = ok
  • configuração = ok
  • mostrar as atividades concluidas = ok
  • clicar no link "visão geral de aluno" = ERRO 500- Apache/2.4.23 (Unix) OpenSSL/1.0.1e-fips mod_bwlimited/1.4 Server at www.crdrecicladetran.com.br Port 80"

Verifiquei que a permissão estava 777 nas pastas e 666 para arquivos.

MUDEI PARA: 755 para pasta e 644 para arquivos e funcionou.

Isso parece ser problema de SEGURANÇA do servidor que estou utilizando

Picture of TERESA FANNING

We love the new Completion Progress Block as much as we loved the Progress Bar.

We often need to differentiate assessment for our kids - can it be made to reflect exclusions that have been made in the gradebook? They are still showing up as red crosses. Any way to make it disappear or at least go green?

Picture of Phil Martin
Re: Completion Progress block - Activity Description

This is a unusual question probably and I perhaps think it is not possible to resolve my issue.

It starts with me not liking the activity icons in Moodle, and I also wanted to have the ability to have a different icon for the same activity type.

I use captivate and up load a file and some are guided lessons and some are self guided so was wanting a different icon.

I am only semi technical so looked at CSS as a solution and had success. 

Here is the same activity type with different icons.

same activity different icons

This was achieved using font awesome and pasting in the code into the activity.

html into header

Unfortunately in Completion Progress it shows the HTML.  I know I am doing something not expected but is it possible for the html to be ignored.

completion progress 

Picture of Anders Holm-Pedersen
Ang: Completion Progress block

Dear Michael.

Thank your for the great work.

On my school we are right now trying to shift from the progress bar, which have been acting weird since we installed 3.1a couple of weeks ago. (bar showing green when it was supposed to show green og yellow) to this Completions progress block.

I have been testing it and my one concern is, that it seems, that it cannot communicate with the assignment due date and time.

So when the an assignment is due lets say the 8th of march at 15.00 then the small bar, that represents this assignment will not turn red when the the time has passed 15.00 but stay blue.

The only soultion i found is to set the activity completion settings to "Student must receive a grade to complete this activity" or " Student must submit to this activity to complete it"

and then set "Expect completed on" to the 8th of march.

This gives me 2 problems.

1. It's double work for our teachers (they need to set due date twice) --> they will less likely do it

2. Even though the deadline is at 15.00, the small bar, that represents this assignment will turn red when it becomes the 8th of march, and not at 15.00

Is there any solution to this matter?

Kind regards

Anders Holm

Denmark

John Provasnik at Moodle Moot US
Re: Completion Progress block (Now Indicator not appearing in WRAP)

Hi Michael.

Amazing block! Question - the NOW indicator appears as expected when the block is set to Scroll or Squeeze.

When set to Wrap, it only appears when there is 1 row of icons. As soon as there is a second row, the NOW indicator disappears.

Is this a bug, or expected behavior?

Completion Progress Block examples

My mug

Hi, John.

Yes, the now indicator isn't meant to appear with more than one row. It's hard to locate that indicator so that it means the same thing for multiple rows, unfortunately.

Michael

Ok -- thanks for the info. Looks like scroll setting will be an good option to use then.

Quiz with Essay question:

I have 2 activities in the block right now: an assignment, and a quiz with an essay.  Both have activity completion set to "Requires a Grade" to be marked complete.

So, with both activities attempted but not yet graded, the Assignment turns yellow and says submitted, but the quiz remains in blue. Is this due to the activities being different (meaning you 'submit' an assignment but 'attempt' a quiz) or should the quiz also turn yellow when attempted but not yet graded?