Copy a Glossary from one course to another

Copy a Glossary from one course to another

by Jeffery Watkins -
Number of replies: 14

What is the easiest way to copy a Glossary from one course to another?  I want the same glossary available to both (all) my courses, but cannot figure it out.

Thanks.

Jeff

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jeffery Watkins

Re: Copy a Glossary from one course to another

by Williams Castillo -
Hi Jeff,

In the meantime, the easiest way is to backup only the glossary and restore it in every course you want (with the standard backup/restore feature).

However, I think the import/export functions will be available soon.

Will
In reply to Williams Castillo

by Jeffery Watkins -

Thanks Will.

Jeff

by Williams Castillo -

Hi again,

Please, check CVS for the latest and test it... I would like to know about timing with a glossary large enough like yours.

Thanks,

Will

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Actually, I have one large site where the glossary filters are really slowing things down on a very large page. In particular this is a report page for a journal in a class with many students, each posting a lot of HTML text.

This is really a journal bug, since that page isn't very scalable, but I'm also thinking of implementing a disable_filters() function that can be called from certain pages to disable all the optional filters for that page (it would simply set a temporary CFG variable that is checked by the filter function).
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Eloy Lafuente (stronk7) -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Perhaps this is a good moment to think about implement this (or something similar, of course)...

http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=2839&parent=13178

I think that it could give us full flexibility handling filters...

Only one idea, ciao smile
In reply to Eloy Lafuente (stronk7)

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Yes, indeed - thanks for the reminder!  smile

Just takes a lot more time that I don't have, though...  (Groups groups groups groups) sad
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Williams Castillo -
Don't know if it works for you, but I implemented the removing of glossary filters in the printer-friendly version by sending <nolink>$entry->definition</nolink> to the format_text function...

Will

by Jeffery Watkins -

I have the newest CVS and the glossary continues to load very slow.  I do not have anything else really in the course, so it is hard to tell if it is slowing down anything else.

Jeff

by Williams Castillo -
It happen when loading what frame? And with which category/letter selected?

In ALL entries or categories, I think the time is... well.. undestandable...

However... when we add the variable Automatic Linking... I bet we are adding a pretty load here...

Try to remove the textfilter of the Glossary and see what happen... Try to load different view of the glossary (all entries, those that begin with L for instance, a category...)

Will

by Jeffery Watkins -

When I click on the button for the glossary, it is a very slow load.  The screen is the default glossary view with the entries for A showing.  Also, I get this at the bottom of the page... Asian Tigers:
Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in /home2/website/socialstudies-www/lib/adodb/adodb.inc.php on line 2497

so all of A is not loading. If I try a smaller letter, Y for example, it loads quicker with no error.  The All button produces this error and only loads to this point:

armistice:
Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in /home2/website/socialstudies-www/lib/datalib.php on line 476

If the test filter is removed, everythign loads fine.  But, I really want this linking function.

Jeff

by Williams Castillo -

You should have an entry with the concept field empty or something like that... Could you "export" your glossary and send it to me??

by Jacob Romeyn -
Does the global option not provide the glossary to all courses?
In reply to Jacob Romeyn

by Williams Castillo -
Yes, it does.. But you don't have the "exporting to main glossary" funciontality with global glossaries that are not in the current course. Thus, if a student needs to browse the whole glossary, s/he will need to go to the course where the global glossary is (perhaps the main page).

I was assuming that Jeff wanted a glossary that belong to the current course while being an image of another glossary, perhaps in other installation.

All the best,
Will