Help with Set Up

Help with Set Up

by Karen Downie -
Number of replies: 8

I have created another post with a few questions but really I am looking for some support with a new set up.

If anyone can offer any support with the following please contact me.

- Trouble with web server opening after download of package

- Integrating with Turnitin Plagerism plugin

- To create one class with 20 examiners with around 100 students

- To upload one assignment question for the whole class which will be graded by any one of the examiners.  The submissions need to be submitted integrated with the Turnitin plugin. 

I need some help with this asap if anyone is available please let me know.

Thanks

Karen

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Karen Downie

Re: Help with Set Up

by Albert Ramsbottom -

Sorry Karen but I think you are asking too much!

There is plenty of documentation on here and plenty of posts regarding nearly every issue that you might encounter

If you are using a hosting company then it is likely there is a one click installer, so one doesn't need to download, install databases are anything like that

Once you have installed a web server and moodle you can then start to learn how to use the package, one step at a time

Albert

In reply to Albert Ramsbottom

by Karen Downie -

Thank you Albert,

I have read much documentation available here but unfortunately is outwith my understanding as an administrator and not an IT professional.

Can you recommend a hosting company?  As I did not know that this was required.

Just to be clear, I do not believe I am asking too much as we would of course pay someone for their time and consultation.

We really only need the system because Turnitin does not support multiple instructors per class/assignment. 

Karen
In reply to Karen Downie

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

You can probably get help in these forums by asking about these topics. I recommend you ask them one at a time with as much detail as possible.

In reply to Marcus Green

by Karen Whitton -

Thank you, I have read a number of posts but still I think I need some assistance.  When I downloaded and set up initially it has installed on a local server, not available online.  I am unsure how to upload this to allow it to be accessed.  Should this be done via our website? 

Once I have this figured out I should be ok with most other things as our system will be small. 

Thanks

Karen

In reply to Karen Downie

by Albert Ramsbottom -

Well it is possible to install a local version so you can practice with it, before you commit

You can download the full windows installers which might be the easiest but eventually if you want this on the interwebs you will need to get some hosting

Go to the windows download section, download the latest package and then follow the instructions

Albert

In reply to Albert Ramsbottom

by Karen Whitton -

Hi Albert,

Thank you.  I have this already and have it mostly set up.  It is the hosting part I am unsure about, I do not know how to go about having it available online for others to access. 

I am having some trouble with the Turnitin plugins also, however I am hopefully getting some support from them directly as it is a paid product so hopefully those problems can be resolved!

Karen

In reply to Karen Whitton

by Albert Ramsbottom -

OK

I dont like to recommend hosting but

https://www.vidahost.com/web-hosting/pricing#plans

Vidahost have been good to me.

If you havent already made loads of courses and have just been playing around. I would recommend that you start afresh, sign up for some hosting (linux), and then just click on the Moodle in the one-click hosting section and away you go. Choose the cheap plan, you get a free domain name, choose wisely and once complete click on the moodle installer

You might have to wait 24 hours before your domain but htey will give you a temp one until then

Albert

In reply to Karen Whitton

by Stuart Mealor -

Can't tell what country you are in from your profile(?) but there are Moodle Parters in many locations that can assist with these things if you are in a rush to get them resolved, and have some budget to pay for the support.  Checkout Moodle.com for a list smile