Plugins for working with large question banks

Plugins for working with large question banks

wót Vadim Dvorovenko -
Anzahl Antworten: 10
Hello. I'd like to present my recent development - plugin that improve working with large question banks.
resortquestioncategory - allows to resort categories alphabeticaly
renumberquestioncategory - adds hierarchical numbering to category names
quickrenamequestioncategories - allows to change names of all categories in one form
purgequestioncategory - allows to remove question category with all subcategories and questions.

plugins are placed into /local directory

Some possible use cases.
If you import into moodle large test bank with many categories they are sorted alphabeticaly and not by order in import file. Istead of long moving them up and down (with page reload on ever move) you may: a) manually add numbers to categories with quick rename; b) resort category with resort; c) remove numbers with renumber.
You may need purge if you imported complex question bank and suddenly found that something has gone wrong. Sometimes it's much simplier to fully delete  imported category and reimport it.

I'll be happy to hear any comments and suggestions

Mittelwert:Useful (2)
Als Antwort auf Vadim Dvorovenko

Re: Plugins for working with large question banks

wót Andrew Barrett -

Hi Vadim,

Thank you for this. We've been looking for exactly something like this and would find it most useful. 

Is it going into the Moodle plugins database?

Which moodle versions will it work with? 

Thanks

Andrew

Als Antwort auf Andrew Barrett

wót Vadim Dvorovenko -

I'm currently waiting for this plugins approval - it's not very quick.

I've developed and tested it only on 3.0. But you may edit version.php and set any other requirement. Test it, i suppose all plugins should work in earlier versions.

set $plugin->requires = 2013051400;  for 2.5

Maybe i'll test it later, when plugins will be approved.

wót Andrew Barrett -

Hi Vadim,

I loaded resortquestioncategory in my version of Moodle 2.8. Should it be visible as an option under the Question Bank menu item? I can't seem to find it there, any suggestions?

Thanks

Andrew

wót Andrew Barrett -

UPDATE: We loaded Moodle 3.0 this week and it's working perfectly there. Just want to say a huge thank you again for such a helpful plugin. You've made what was looking to be a very arduous and painful project, very simple.

wót Don Hinkelman -
Nutzerbild von Particularly helpful Moodlers Nutzerbild von Plugin developers

I am very interested in this.  We have over 10,000 questions in our question bank and it is growing. This will save much time.  I am also interested in how to minimize the question bank--this is a different problem but is common in schools with large question banks.

Als Antwort auf Don Hinkelman

wót Marcus Green -
Nutzerbild von Core developers Nutzerbild von Particularly helpful Moodlers Nutzerbild von Plugin developers Nutzerbild von Testers

I am rather impressed with that number Don. Would you disclose in general numbers how many teachers/student over what amount of time they were created and which question types they are broadly divided into. I have been very interested in automatically marked activities for a long time.

wót Vadim Dvorovenko -

One more plugin, not for question bank, but for quiz module - local_quizdemo

Demonstration quiz is needed, for example, if you plan examination, and want to provide to students some quiz preview with same structure. This module creates copy of quiz with random questions selects some questions and puts them in place of random. So, students may try-out this quiz many times, but will allways see the same questions, so your full question bank will be secured until examination.
After plugin install quiz navigation node will be extended with "Create demo of this quiz" item. Press it, and fill in name for new quiz. Demo quiz will appear in course right after source quiz.