Installing Snap Theme

Installing Snap Theme

by Susan Vinovrski -
Number of replies: 10

Hi,

I'm using Moodle 3.0.2, and trying to install Snap from GitHub https://github.com/moodlerooms/moodle-theme_snap

I notice it says it's Snap for 2.9, but I did see it mentioned on the forum that others have it install on 3.0 (https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=322913&parent=1296719)

My problem is that it's basically stuck on validation (see screenshot below).  I tried yesterday, and again today and I'd appreciate any advice. 

Thanks,

Susan

screenshot

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Susan Vinovrski

Re: Installing Snap Theme

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Don't use the ZIP files from GitHub with the 'Install from ZIP' method, they do not have the correct structure that the ones on Moodle.org plugins DB have.  There is a mechanism that fixes this when themes are released on Moodle.org.  Instead, extract the files and install manually or use the latest from Moodle.org if its there.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by Susan Vinovrski -

Thanks, Gareth.  I appreciate the response and I'll try to install manually.

Susan

In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

After the spate of recent posts around this kind of issue, does the Install from Zip page need a bit more info/guidance - or does the code need a better error trapping to catch these issues and provide an appropriate message on a failure caused by this kind of issue?

Which would be the better solution (or both) to add as a tracker issue? Thoughts?

In reply to Richard Oelmann

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

It might be an idea to get David Mudrak views on this.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Susan Vinovrski

by Purvil Patel -

Susan, were you able to solve the problem ?

In reply to Purvil Patel

by Richard Oelmann -

by Purvil Patel -

Richard, thanks for your reply. While setting up my local machine, I used both the approach(ZIP file and manual option). I was able to install the theme by manually copying the content to Theme folder. (I cloned the folder from git and renamed ti to snap, than I moved this folder to moodle>>theme.) However, when I applied the theme, it was not applied correctly. The whole Moodle site is displayed as if there is no CSS applied. Just ugly HTML everywhere. 

In reply to Purvil Patel

by Richard Oelmann -

What version of Moodle are you using?

Have you ensured that all the folders and files are readable (check the permissions)?

Have you run through the Notifications page on your site to ensure the theme is properly installed?

I have had Snap working on both 3.0 and 3.1 - there maybe some areas that it needs tidying up with as it hasn't been adapted for Moodle3 as far as I can see, but those do not break the theme the way your screenshot shows.

by Purvil Patel -

I am using Moodle 3.0 on Windows platform. 

I followed https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=317725 this link and solved the problem by installing Bitnami Moodle App.