Dereference aliases: yes

User attribute: samaccountname

Thanks,

Mevin

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mevin Pothunnah

Re: LDAP authentication

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Start by formatting your ip to read: ldap://192.168.1.115

I presume that this whole installation is just being hosted internally..?

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Mevin Pothunnah -

Changed the url to ldap://192.168.1.115. And yes I am testing internally. When I login, I get invalid login.

Thank you for your support.

by Leon Stringer -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Hi,

Are you sure the user name you are using is the one that matches the sAMAccountName attribute in Active Directory?

There are two User Logon Name values listed on the Account tab in the Active Directory Users and Computers console and these may be different.

Leon Stringer

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Seeing as you are using admin account, I presume that that user does have appropriate rights on AD?  Invalid login normally means the login/password is wrong for the user trying to login.  Are you just using the username?  No domain at the beginning...that is how it should be...

On the LDAP docs page there is a link to a tool called ldap.exe - try running it from a windows machine - it will help you verify your settings.

by Joshua Mayes -

It would be helpful to know what error you are receiving, but here's some heplful info to help you get started.

Check out this page https://docs.moodle.org/30/en/Active_Directory#Troubleshooting_AD_and_LDAP_authentication

Basically your going to want to use ldp.exe to play around with it until you find the settings that work.  What worked for me was changing the DN from CN=xxx to xxx@"domain"."tld"

In reply to Joshua Mayes

by Mevin Pothunnah -

Hello Joshua,

Changed the base DN but even then I am not able to login. 

by Joshua Mayes -

Again it would be helpful to know what error your getting.  What does moodle tell you when you try to login?

Also your going to want to use ldp.exe. The output from that will be really helpful in troubleshooting.

In reply to Joshua Mayes

by Mustafa A. -
Hi Joshua,

ldp.exe seems to be working on prior versions of Windows. I have Windows Server 2012 and I couldn't find a compatible version of it.

Are there any alternatives of it for testing LDAP configuration?

by Mevin Pothunnah -

Hi all,

Changed url to ldap://192.168.1.115

DN: mevin@northfields.local

Contexts: dc=northfields, dc=local

And now it is working. Thank you all for your precious support. Now I would like to import all users from AD. I tried exporting the users in csv format. But when I upload, it does not work. I do not have my VM with me right now. But will forward the message error later today.

Thanks,

Mevin

by Joshua Mayes -

smile Glad to hear it

1.  Please tell me that config is for testing purposes only.  Using your account for sync means that sync will break every time you change your password, and you'll have to reconfigure Moodle.  It's probably best to make a service account (you can call it "moodlesync") specifically for this purpose.

2.  While optional, I'd recommend setting your context to the actual OU you store your users in.  The way you have it now it will pull in a lot of accounts that may not necessarily belong to any person, and will just clutter your user store.  Something like cn=users, dc=northfields, dc=local.

Now on to your question:

You'll want to enable the scheduled task so that the LDAP sync actually does stuff.  Until then the LDAP module won't do anything.

https://docs.moodle.org/30/en/Scheduled_tasks

https://docs.moodle.org/30/en/Administration_via_command_line#Scheduled_tasks

by Mevin Pothunnah -

Hi,

I also added the following in cron in order for the site to run properly as mentioned in the docs. Yes that config is for testing purposes only until to install in production. 

And I have also made the change to cn=users, dc=northfields, dc=local.

I have added the following crons:

* * * * *    /usr/bin/php /var/www/moodle/admin/cli/cron.php >/dev/null

* * * * *    /usr/bin/php /var/www/html/moodle/auth/ldap/cli/sync_users.php

WIll these normally enough to pull all users to moodle from AD?

Thank you.

by Emma Richardson -

Yes..I am presuming you replaced some of the stars with times..

Have you checked that you have LDAP set up correctly  now?  You can log in with an LDAP account?

Oh just noticed that you have a different path to your moodle cron than to your ldap cron - I think you probably need to add html to your first path or remove it from your second...

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Mevin Pothunnah -
Hi Emma,

Yes thank you. I made a mistake on the cron. All the users have been imported. Well this was only a test environment. I will need to implement it. Is there any limit on the users it will import?

Thank you.

by Emma Richardson -
I am not sure if there is a limit on users but if too many, I imagine it might hit your php limits...