moodle always gives me Plugin Check page when I log in

moodle always gives me Plugin Check page when I log in

by Chip Wiegand -
Number of replies: 17

since the newest upgrade a couple days ago my moodle always gives me the Plugins Check page when I log in, and every time I hit the Home button as well. What can I do to get it to stop doing that? The page shows my moodle is completely up to date including all plugins. There is no link to the home page, no menu, nothing but an Upgrade Database button, reload button, and view plugins links. I have to use the firefox history to find my home page. Then if I do anything and click Home afterwards, I get the Plugins Check page again! And round and round we go.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Chip Wiegand

Re: moodle always gives me Plugin Check page when I log in

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

You don't mention what upgrade you did, but once or twice, I have had the same symptoms after an upgrade. Especially one where Moodle put something in core that used to be a downloaded add-on. Seems like you have something that is needing to finish upgrading and that's why you are seeing the Upgrade Database button. Have you tried clicking the Upgrade Database button to see if that fixes the problem?

In reply to Chip Wiegand

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

As mentioned below, you have an installation or upgrade outstanding. Click on the Upgrade Database.

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Chip Wiegand -

Thanks for the replies, I have clicked on the Upgrade Database button many, many times. And I have clicked on the Purge all caches button as well. I am stuck in this loop - On the upgrade page there are two themes that appear and show they can be Cancelled or I can click on the Upgrade button. So I click on upgrade, then click on Home, get upgrade page, click on upgrade, click on Home, get upgrade page, and around we go. It's like the Home button has changed to the upgrade page. Very frustrating.

Ok, I just went back into the moodle site and in the Plugins update page I cancelled both themes. Then did a database upgrade. Then clicked on check for updates, there are none. The page shows

Last check done on 10 April 2016, 1:56 PM

No plugins require your attention now

but is still has me stuck in that same loop. I'm going loopy because of this.

I just noticed that when I click on Dashboard, it takes me to the same Plugins Check page.

In reply to Chip Wiegand

by Chip Wiegand -

Sorry for this additional post, but I just noticed something else -

Your Moodle code is up-to-date!

Last check done on 10 April 2016, 1:56 PM
Enabling the PHP setting display_errors is not recommended on production sites because some error messages may reveal sensitive information about your server.
The cron.php maintenance script has not been run for at least 24 hours. Help with Cron

So I clicked on the link to run the cron.php job and I get this message -

Moodle upgrade pending, cron execution suspended.
So, the question remains - what does moodle think needs upgraded? when it obviously says it is all up to date?
In reply to Chip Wiegand

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

I still think it would help to know what you version of Moodle you upgraded from to get to your present 3.0.3 version. It would also help to know which themes you canceled. Reason being, there used to be themes that were included with Moodle core code, that were removed. I have had problems like this before when I accidentally had the wrong permissions that would not allow Moodle to remove files to complete an upgrade.

In reply to Chip Wiegand

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

This has nothing to do with a plugin upgrade - can you please post a screenshot of the page asking you to upgrade the database.  And tell us what happens when  you click that button?

by Chip Wiegand -

I am using Moodle version 3.0.3 (Build: 20160314)

At the same time that this problem we are talking about started there was a problem with the theme Campus. That is another thread - https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=331269#p1333511 - I am now waiting for a confirmation from my webhosting tech in regards to a change to the php.ini file that might fix that problem.

Screenshots attached. The first shows the page I get right after I logged in. I hit the cancel button. Before canceling those theme installs all 3 of the themes were available in the Theme Selector, and in the first screenshot I am using one of them. After canceling them the site reverted to the default theme, and all 3 of those themes were no longer listed in the Theme selector.

Then the second screenshot shows that there are no plugins needing attention.

Apparently I can't add a third screenshot, but if I could it would show -

Your Moodle code is up-to-date!

Last check done on 11 April 2016, 7:18 AM
Enabling the PHP setting display_errors is not recommended on production sites because some error messages may reveal sensitive information about your server.
The cron.php maintenance script has not been run for at least 24 hours. Help with Cron

So, after all that, when I click on the Home or Dashboard links I get that same screen (directly above text pasted in), every time. I cannot get my home page or dashboard, ever, period.

I hope that helps.

Attachment right-after-log-in.jpg
Attachment shows-no-plugins-need-attention.jpg
In reply to Chip Wiegand

by Emma Richardson -

As I mentioned before, the fact that your Moodle code is up to date has nothing to do with this issue.  It is just telling you that you are using the latest version of the core moodle code.  It has nothing to do with your theme plugins.

When you click on Cancel, you are uninstalling those themes.  That is why they are no longer available.  You probably have a permissions issue going and the folders are still in your moodle code/themes folder.  Go into your server, delete those folders and then see if your site starts behaving normally.  Purge caches when done again.

Check your permissions and ownershiop on your moodle code folder.  I suspect that might be causing your problems.

by Chip Wiegand -

Hi, i checked the permissions and found some were 777 and others 755. In my Moodle Themes directory I have set all directories to 0755 and all files to 0644 (most were already that way). Should ALL directories in Moodle be 0755? And ALL files be 0644? I haven't verified that that is the case yet.

I also listed all them directories shown in the file system, and compared that to the Moodle plugins Overview page, and they match. And I also compared them to the Theme Selector page, and they also match.

When I click on the Home or Dashboard links I get this in my url -

stuff here/admin/index.php?cache=1

When I backspace out the " ?cache=1 " part and press enter the page I get is not my home page, it is the Plugins Check page.

What else should I check for?

In reply to Chip Wiegand

by Chip Wiegand -

The problem we are trying to fix is only applicable to the admin accounts. I have verified that a user account does not have any problems.

In reply to Chip Wiegand

by Don Patterson -
I also have exactly the same problem that you describe, Chip. I hope this discussion will continue until we both have a resolution.
In reply to Chip Wiegand

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

In this case, do you know that other user accounts login and password?

One could login as that user.   And then note the user ID number.  Jot it down.   Log out.

Edit the config.ohp file and include a line like this:

$CFG->siteadmins='[useridoftheaccountyouareusing]';

where enclosed between the ticks [useridoftheaccountyouareusing] is the user ID number you jotted down.

Now attempt to login as that user.   Do you see the Site Admin menu?

Now you can navigate to notifications to attempt to restart upgrading, checking for updates as well as upgrade any plugins.

When finished, log out.

Comment out the line you added to config.php by placing a // in front.

Before you attempt to login again with your admin account, clear browser cache and cookies.

Then try logging on.

See if that works.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Don Patterson -

Thanks Ken for the suggestion. The instructions were easy to follow but ...  the new admin user joins those of us who can only see the Plugin Check.

Thanks again,

Don

In reply to Don Patterson

by Ken Task -

@Don ...

take some screen snaps and share back here.

So you've clicked upon whatever there is to update/upgrade?

Can you turn on debugging?

You'll have to do this if you can't navigate away from that update screen ... after logging on and while at that screen, use the URL of browser and add: /admin/settings.php?section=debugging after the site.

http://mysite.org/blah/blah

make

http://mysite.org/admin/settings.php?section=debugging

After turning on debugging, don't use back arrow in browser, just click on Notifications link in site admin menu ... if you can see it ... or some other link.

If you get any errors, either copy and paste them into a text document to use to filter anything that you need to hide ... like site URL other ... or take a screen snap.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Don Patterson -

It was great to see a different screen (.../settings.php?section=debugging) which gave the impression (illusion?) that some things might be configurable.

I have attached 3 screen snaps of the results:

Plugins_check.jpg - the screen any admin user gets stuck on.

Notifications.jpg - the debug notifications that result after turning on debugging (choosing the ALL option)

Plugins_overview.jpg - the screen resulting from clicking this (Plugins Overview) option on the settings screen. Interestingly this screen doesn't seem to be saying that updates are necessary. It is also interesting to compare which plugins need updating.

Thanks again Ken for your help and your patience.

Don

PS I have just seen that I am limited to 2 attachments so I will put the Plugins_overview snap in another posting

Attachment Notifications.JPG
Attachment Plugins_check.JPG
In reply to Ken Task

by Don Patterson -

Plugins_overview.jpg

Attachment Plugins_overview.jpg
In reply to Don Patterson

by Ken Task -

Warnings don't lock things up ...

Notifications jpg
failed to open question/format/qtl_two - no such file

Anyone know of a question format by that short name ... qtl_two?   That a version 1.9 of something?

Then block_search version.php is wrong/incorrect.   There's not block_search in a 3.
same for:
coursereport_compeltion ..
coursereport_log
sourcereport_outline
coursereport_progress
coursereport_stats

qformat_qti_two
local_qeupgradhelper

253 plugins requiring attention

Plugins check 399
Additional 37

The Plugins_overview.jpg didn't go far enough down to see
where the above question/format/ nor course report thing might be.

In a fairly stock 3.0.3+ of Moodle, there is no

blocksearch

coursereport 

qformat_qti_two

qformat_gti_two

nor is there any

local_qeupgradehelper - this one looks to be the question engine upgrade helper
of version's 2.7 and <-

Can't find any of the above in https://moodle.org/plugins/search.php

Me thinks that's why only admin users are affect ... can't find
that which Moodle thinks is to be updated - admins the only ones who can update/upgrade.

So now comes what to do about it?

Well, did your site have any special addons?
Recall what they were and from where acquired?

Worse comes to worse, here's what I'd suggest at this point.

IF you did a full site backup ... code, data director, and the DB dump ...
restore that backup.

If you didn't have or can't do a full site backup (missing parts, etc..) then ...
there is no alternative but to manually remove directories that one finds in
local (that qeupgradehelper which is what the DB says is there but isn't ...
and never was ... never heard of a qeupgradehelper that's to install in local.

question/format/qtl_two
nor
coursereport 

Alt to that ... even more gu-ru-ish ... backup DB.   And then with whatever tool
you have to view/edit the tables with, *carefully* remove the tables that reference
the stuff above.

Can't tell you specifics at this point.

Safest bet, restore your backup you had before you upgraded.

'spirit of sharing', Ken