VPL jail server not connecting

VPL jail server not connecting

by Kees van Heuven -
Number of replies: 4

Hi there,

I have installed virtual programming lab on my moodle server and i installed a jail server. My Moodle server is accessible from outside my home netwerk. I have a startssl certificate and al works fine. I have put my NAS in the dmz and all traffic is directed to my nas.

But when i us vpl from outside my home lan it can't connect to the jail server, my guess is that the browser from wich i am setting up a connection to the jail server can"t access the jail server over port 80, my moodle server takes port 80....

I have tried to install my ssl certificates so i could setup a ssl connection but no luck, when i test my jail server on port 80 it comes op with " ok" but on port 443 it fails.

From inside my lan it all works fine, when i put the test server in the config all works fine inside and outside.

Does anybody know how i can make this work so my students can get access to the jail server? 

Thanks for your time.

Greetings,

Kees van Heuven

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Kees van Heuven

Re: VPL jail server not connecting

by Usman Asar -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Kees, have you opened firewall ports 443 to your server? in your router as well as server firewalls?

try accessing your ports from outside using open port check tool here http://www.canyouseeme.org 

In reply to Usman Asar

by Kees van Heuven -

Good morning Usman,

Thanks for your re[ly.

Both ports are open but my moodle (synology) is my dmz host so all traffic is redirected to my nas. 

My guess is that i need a second public ip adres for my jail server....

In reply to Kees van Heuven

by Usman Asar -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Kees, dont you think putting a server on DMZ would be a security risk? Why not just open ports that are required, freeing up 443 and 80 for moodle server, unless you are giving access on port 80 to NAS as well.

In reply to Usman Asar

by Kees van Heuven -

Hi Usman,

My synology has a firewall and only ports whom are needed are open, my synology indeed uses port 80/443.

I will ask my isp for the possibility's of a second public ip that should be maybe the best solution, if there is a other solution for my setup please let me know smile

Again thanks for replying. 

Greetings,

Kees van Heuven