Hide course sections until completed

Hide course sections until completed

by Fred du Plessis -
Number of replies: 1

Good day,

I hope someone can help me or maybe there is a plugin for this.

Say I have a "Geography" course and it's divided up into 4 sections. But, I don't want all 4 sections to be available immediately. In other words, only section 1 should be available at the beginning of the course. Upon completion of the first section, THEN only does section 2 become available.

Is this possible?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Fred du Plessis

Re: Hide course sections until completed

by Kevin Wiliarty -

There are various ways to accomplish what you describe.

• If everyone is going through the course at the same time (so that the change of state can happen at the same time for all users) then the easiest option is to change the section visibility by hand. With course editing on you should see an eye icon in the upper right of your course sections that allows you to toggle visibility of the entire section.
  • If your Moodle site has 'restricted access' enabled (something a Moodle administrator can do), then you will see options to restrict access to a section at the bottom of the screen when you edit the section summary. You can choose a date-based restriction if there is a particular moment when you would like the section to become visible.
  • If your Moodle site additionally has 'completion tracking' enabled (again something a Moodle administrator would need to do), and if you additionally have completion tracking enabled in your course, then you can apply access restrictions that are based on an individual's completion of other activities in the course. I won't try to recreate the documentation here. This would be useful only if you wanted the section to become available to different students at different times depending on what else they had completed.
Average of ratings: Useful (2)