MORECANDY for Moodle 2.9 and 3.0 Released

MORECANDY for Moodle 2.9 and 3.0 Released

by Mary Evans -
Number of replies: 12
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Moodlers and friends,

I am pleased to announce at last that I have updated and released two new versions of Morecandy for Moodle 2.9 and also Moodle 3.0. I also have a Moodle 3.1 on the back-boiler waiting for the go-ahead so that I can submit it for as an Early Bird theme.

If you want any extra settings adding in to any of these versions please let me know and I will try and oblige. As you may already have guessed I tend to make my themes pretty basic and generally follow what Moodle dictates.

You can install either theme direct to your Moodle site from the Plugins Repository:

Morecandy 3.0

Morecandy 2.9

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mary Evans

Re: MORECANDY for Moodle 2.9 and 3.0 Released

by Andy Chaplin -

Hi Mary

Unfortunately, your update has plunged me into  dependency check hell!  sad

I ran the plugin updates and got this error:

I checked Justin Hunt's video here but that only solves the problem when it's a plugin.  this appears to refer to a Moodle version.  I'm now stuck in a cycle where whatever I do I come back to the same page.

Can you, or anyone else suggest what I do to get out of this?

BTW, the site is 2.9 and all other updates ran normally.  I tried the same update on a 3.0 test site and the upgrade failed due to a validation error.

All the best

Andy

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Andy Chaplin

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

That's only a check, I do not think the theme has been merged at this stage.

Did you not check to see you had the correct version of Moodle or whatever.

Are you in a position to amend the Morecandy version.php?

If so just change the Moodle version required to your current Moodle version.

In reply to Mary Evans

by Andy Chaplin -

Thanks for the quick turnaround Mary!

I edited the version.php file and now it's gone through.  I had 2015051100 and the requirement was 2015051103.

I hadn't noticed the discrepancy as the site is 2.9.3 and I thought the .3 would be enough!  I forgot to be more careful because Version 3 catches these things and allows you to cancel the procedure.

All the best

Andy

In reply to Andy Chaplin

by Mary Evans -

Thanks for letting me know.

By the way what were the Validation errors?

Was that a version problem as well?

In reply to Mary Evans

by Andy Chaplin -

This is the message i got...

I've got Moodle 3.0.2+ (Build: 20160121)  on the test site.  That looks odd as I'm running a higher number.

In reply to Andy Chaplin

by Mary Evans -

The Build date is when the update to that original version were added to make Moodle 3.0.1 or 3.0.2 or 3.0.3 etc

The version is still the date that the version of Moodle was released and so Moodle 3.0 release date is 2015111600

At least I am learning something. I must admit it's a while since I looked this sort of stuff up

Cheers and thanks

Mary

In reply to Andy Chaplin

by Mary Evans -

Hi

Looks like I added the update version for the 2.9 branch. The list of versions for 2.9 is here...

https://docs.moodle.org/dev/Releases#Moodle_2.9

So just lose the last two digits 03 from the end and make the required version as follows

$plugin->requires  = 20150511; // Moodle 2.9
In reply to Andy Chaplin

by Mary Evans -

Sorry Andy, for all the bother you had trying to install these new versions. I have just uploaded the new zip files with the correct version of Moodle stated in the version.php.

Cheers

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Andy Chaplin -

That great!  

And thanks for updating such a good theme!

In reply to Andy Chaplin

by Mary Evans -

Thank you Andy!

By the way have you discovered that the Dashboard has two sets of center block regions as seen in this screenshot...?

The course overview is a 'fake block' in the #region-content block-region which is only present in the dashboard page and added automatically by Moodle. It's a bit like the calendar blocks.

Below that are two columns which allows you to clutter up the dashboard with small blocks. But also provides areas that Admins can govern, so you could have an HTML block that acts as a notification block that displays notices to students. The add block is at the bottom of that middle  left block which I have named 'before', followed by the middle right block which I have called 'behind'.

Notice too that the pre and post block regions are pushed right to the top of the page which shrinks the page header/context header area.

All this allows you a fair bit of flexibility in how you want the page to look.

In reply to Mary Evans

by Andy Chaplin -

Hi Mary

The latest update works fine.  Both of the active sites where i use it updated cleanly, and the test site did a fresh install also without a hitch.

The blocks feature in the dashboard works fine.  On my sites, I like to have all the blocks left aligned to maximise the user space, but that can lead to some dead space on the dashboard.  The option to double park the blocks in the main are works well to compensate for that.

One question about the theme in general though...  Is there a reason why you didn't include the option of having a background image?  Is it a technical issue or a design decision?

Keep up the good work!

Andy

In reply to Andy Chaplin

by Mary Evans -

Oh great thanks for feedback.

I think the reason I left off the background image up-loader is because I utilised the setting to add the brand icon. I'll add the background back now you've mentioned it.

I've just added the course menu in the top navbar in the 3.1 version, I'm just about to add a setting to enable it.

If you think of anything else you think would be a good idea to add to the theme, please let me know?

Cheers

Mary