Can Moodle sites be accessed from China?

Can Moodle sites be accessed from China?

by Stephen Gibbs Jr. -
Number of replies: 6

Just wondering if Moodle can normally be access from China?  Any help would be appreciated...thanks!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Stephen Gibbs Jr.

Re: Can Moodle sites be accessed from China?

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

The short answer is, yes, although for a longer answer I will just move your post to the General help forum.

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

A few of my Chinese students have had success.  One problem, however, is course videos.  One of my students could not access these from China.  Apparently, they were being blocked.  But then, another student did have success.  So I am not sure why it works for some but not others.  Oh well.  

In reply to Rick Jerz

by ben reynolds -

Yes, our Moodle courses are accessible from mainland China. The issue is not Moodle. The issue is content and timing out. The Great Firewall of China filters almost all Internet connections. In filtering, it slows packet transmission, and that can get so slow that students time out. That hasn't happened to our students in quite a while.

There's at least one site you can find by Googling "Great Firewall of China" that tells you how slow your connection is to China (not Hong Kong).

And there is a list of about 1,000 words in English that will get your connection hammered by the Great Firewall.

And, finally, I've heard that using a VPN prevents the Great Firewall from filtering. I've seen no confirmation.

by Usman Asar -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

I doubt if someone actually blocks a "learning" website, also sites are blocked by URL, not by script, so consider yourself safe here. BUT, if you have embedded things that are blocked in China  (like YouTube) then you're out of luck.

you can however even try your URL to be tested at (http://www.greatfirewallofchina.org), it doesn't gives out a lot deal of information, but will test your site's accessibility at different local nodes.

As for Rick's comments, I assume it will be Flash player Plug-in that one particular student hasn't got installed, else if site is getting opened at one place, very unlikely it wont work at other in same region.

by Flotter Totte -
Picture of Plugin developers

If you want, that your users in China can access your moodle without any problem anytime, you must host it in China (within the great firewall).

Greetings from Shanghai (China)