Moodle penalty with multiple tries

Moodle penalty with multiple tries

by Jang Esther -
Number of replies: 3

Hello,

I'd like to know how I can set penalty to my students when they have multiple attempts.

Each quiz scores 10 points, and the penalty percentage is -25%.

Students can try 4 attempts for the quiz.

If a student gets the right answers at the fourth time, can I get the grade report as below?

Attempt Q1 Q2
1st 0.00 0.00
2nd 0.00 0.00
3rd 0.00 0.00
4th 2.5(-75% from 10.00) 2.5(-75% from 10.00)

Your help will be very appreciated.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jang Esther

Re: Moodle penalty with multiple tries

by Tim Hunt -
Core developersನ ಚಿತ್ರ Documentation writersನ ಚಿತ್ರ Particularly helpful Moodlersನ ಚಿತ್ರ Peer reviewersನ ಚಿತ್ರ Plugin developersನ ಚಿತ್ರ

Are you talking about multiple tries at one question (in which case How questions behave: Interactive with multiple tries works exactly like this).

Or, are you talking about multiple attempts at one quiz (with a behaviour like Deferred feedback)? I am afraid that is not possible, but it sounds like another one to add to the wish-list in https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=328970.

In reply to Tim Hunt

Re: Moodle penalty with multiple tries

by Nadav Kavalerchik -
Core developersನ ಚಿತ್ರ Plugin developersನ ಚಿತ್ರ Testersನ ಚಿತ್ರ Translatorsನ ಚಿತ್ರ

Indeed, I am looking for what seems to be a new kind of plugin (API) that can manipulate the grade of re-attempted quiz, and not of each question or question attempt (within a quiz attempt).

Thank you for the link. It was very helpful!

As a work around, I manipulated the question behaviour plugin. (inspired by Daniel Thieshttps://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=328970#p1344507 to change all the question's grades as the attempt was finished. (It is a little bit confusing to students to see we take off points event when the answered correctly on a specific question, although we explain way the points are taken)  

I even have a new version of the above patched plugin, that requires a core patch to the quiz form, in which I input a quiz re-attempt penalty, instead of getting it from each question. (as we have quizzes with lots of questions, and teachers asked to input the penalty only once per quiz)

If at all interesting, I was post the patch here at the forum.

Again, thank you very much Tim, as always, you are a big help! and sorry for my late response.