No more viewing pdf files

No more viewing pdf files

by Dale Vanderhoof -
Number of replies: 5

Hello! 

I recently upgraded from Moodle 2-something to 3.0.3, and now no .pdf files can be downloaded on mobile devices.

Before the upgrade it was possible to view .pdf files in mobile devices. I have tried it in several devices as well as several browsers on each. Nothing worked. I do not know if the upgrade did it, or if it is just a coincidence, but now every time there is a pdf it throws an error. Sometimes the error is: "Cannot display PDF (Title.pdf is of invalid format)". Before this happens, it acts like the pdf downloads and tries to open.

Sometimes it gives this error: "Sorry, the requested file could not be found" But in either case, when attempting it from a desktop computer, it works.

It also appears to work when using the Moodle app on the mobile devices. I have searched through the forums and tried several things:

o Changed the way the file opens in the browser window. Depending on the forum thread I changed it to: Open in a new window, open in the same window.

o Also, depending on the forum thread, I changed the way it displays: Automatic, Embed, Forced Download, Open, and In popup. None of these worked.

I also read about uploading them manually and also looking for them in the moodle directory and also the moodledata/filedir directory. But then I have no idea where to go after that.

Any help that anyone can give me will be greatly appreciated. To reiterate, it worked flawlessly before. Now they do not work.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Dale Vanderhoof

Re: No more viewing pdf files

by Dale Vanderhoof -

Has anybody had this problem, or am I the only one?

by Juan Leyva -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi,

this problem happens mostly if you uploaded a file without extension (.pdf), if you are using drag and drop to upload files this may happen.

Please, review your uploaded pdfs to check if the file has the .pdf extension.

We also did some fixes in both the app and Moodle related to filters and embedding files, we are releasing a new version of Moodle Mobile soon so maybe you can check again once your app is updated.

Juan

In reply to Juan Leyva

by Lesley Adelaine -

Hi, I am having the same issue but i am the course administrator!

We cannot upload a PDF file or any other kind of file other than a csv. file ?

Is it because of the new upgrade? I am using a laptop so i doubt it is due to it being a mobile device?

I have searched every kind of tutorial and cannot find a way to change the settings.

Please can you assist.

Thanks

Below is a screenshot....

by Sudeep Nayak -

Hi,

I am also facing the same issue. I downloaded the source from the following URL.

https://github.com/moodle/moodle

Made some color changes and installed the APK file on android phone.

The PDF file is not downloadable.

It is working if I install the moodle app from Google Play Store.

May be the issue with code on GitHub.

Can anyone send the source code (GitHub) of the app version which is hosted on Play Store now.