Recording BBB sessions

Recording BBB sessions

by Emilie Lenel -
Number of replies: 3
Hello
We upgraded our BBB serveur (version 0.9) as well as our BBB Moodle plugin (2.0.1) last month.
Our users appreciate the new interface which is much more user friendly
Recordings are now available directly in the BBB webconference instance, we don't have to add a RecordingsBN ressource.

However, in our previous version, we could enable the automatic recording in the bbb activity.
It's no longer possible, the moderator/teacher should not forget to click the recording button on the bbb interface.  But many teachers forget to click the button, and are surprised to have no recording of their session....

Can we consider, in future versions of BBB, having a default setting for administror to set the bbb recording to "Yes, always", "No, never", "Yes, managed by teacher" ??  Can i publish an improvement feature in this sense in Moodle Tracker ?

Thanks
Best regards
Emilie

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Emilie Lenel

Re: Recording BBB sessions

by Jesus Federico -
Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Emily,

Just to clarify, there are two elements to consider here: the BigBlueButtonBN Plugin in Moodle and the BigBlueButton server by itself.

The meeting activity/room needs to have the option "Session can be recorded" enabled in order to have the recording function available in BigBlueButton. That can be enabled by default by configuring the plugin 

Site administration->Plugins->Activity modules->BigBlueButtonBN

Section, Configuration for "recording" feature -> Recording feature enabled [checked], which it is by default. 

If you don't want Teachers to change that in the room/activity, uncheck the "Recording feature can be edited". That will affect only the new activities/rooms created.

Now, for what I understand what you want/need is BigBlueButton to start recording since the first user joins the session, as it was in version 0.81.  Well, the start/stop button added on 0.9 was a long time waiting feature for us to put in place and there were a big number of users who were asking for it since version 0.71 came out, so this is why you see it there smile

This is in the BBB configuration and it can not be changed in any way from an external application (the Moodle plugin in this case).

If you own the BBB server, what you could do is to set it up in a way that the old behavior is applied to all the sessions in that server.

You would need to edit

/var/lib/tomcat7/webapps/bigbluebutton/WEB-INF/classes/bigbluebutton.properties

And change the values that come by default:

autoStartRecording=false

allowStartStopRecording=true

To

autoStartRecording=true

allowStartStopRecording=false

But again, that will apply to all the sessions in that server. The downside on that is that you may have (as before) a long gap at the beginning of the session before the class even start, and at the end until the last user left or the meeting is ended.

I hope this helps,

Jesus Federico

Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Jesus Federico

by Emilie Lenel -

Hello Jesus

Thanks a lot for your clear explanations !

Indeed, i will check with our BBB server admin whether we could force the autoStartRecording.

We use this server for several Moodle instances, therefore i wonder if it would be possible to enable it only for a specific Moodle instance.  Any advise is highly appreciated.

Thanks again for your support

Emilie

In reply to Emilie Lenel

by Jesus Federico -
Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Emilie,

I am afraid that is not possible. As I said, the configuration will affect the behavior of the whole server for all the sessions there created.

JF