pc games addiction

pc games addiction

by Jurgis Pralgauskis -
Number of replies: 8
Hello,

how much time does average teenager spend in front of computer per day?

I don't know. But my friend sais, that his children are kind of addicted.. Its good that they still go in for sports (track and field athletics or so). But they forget homework, so their school achievements are decreasing! It would be ok, if they learned sth usefull, but http://www.muonline.com/ takes away theese hopes..

Any technical or pedagogical suggestions?

My friend is an average father, who would like his children to get acquainted with PC. But he doesn't know what psychological approach should be taken to manage the balance between fun and usefulness.

I remember a few Years earlier I tried Starcraft, and I could play all day and all night long. So now I prefer not to start such games at all ;).
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jurgis Pralgauskis

Re: pc games addiction

by Michael Penney -
Dr. James Paul Gee says it may not be a bad thing:-).

In the future, maybe we will get work done using a game interfacesmile.

You can make a simple adventure game with Moodle's lesson, with random branching and high scoressmile.
In reply to Michael Penney

by Drew Buddie -

Have you got an example of this game you can share with us Michael?

PLEASE?

In reply to Drew Buddie

by Darren Smith -
Have you seen the latest dida game?

Go to http://dida.nwlg.org/ and hit enter then you will see a link on the top right for the wmv. Looks like you idea you presented at the Oxford moot smile
In reply to Drew Buddie

by Michael Penney -
Sadly, the platform is ready, but the game has yet to be written. Start making a lesson, put in a cluster, put  some branch tables in there, and you have a randomizer. Now create some paths with events, and you have the start of a leanrning adventure. With linked lessons in 1.6, you have the start of levels.

by Chardelle Busch -
Picture of Core developers
My daughters have laptops with some games, and where they are supposed to type up their assignments, etc. One of them plays games a lot like the SIMS and other "create your own city, amusement park, pet" types of games. Like Michaels says, these games really do have social learning to them. The other one has absolutely no interest in computer games. BUT, if they want to get online they can only do it on MY computer. That way I can restrict and monitor where they go and what they do as well as how long they are on.  I usually am there with the youngest (13) when she has to do a Google search for school to monitor things--AND that takes priority over IM with friends on Yahoosmile.

by Bernard Boucher -
Hi Jurgis,
              here are results of a survey answered by my students (17 years old mostly boys ) about 8 faces  their time investment:
( thirth column are hours/week )

Question #337: Number of hours at their weekly school agenda:
    33/68 have between 30 and 33 hours / week

Question #338: Number of hours of internet usage by week:
    5/68 do more that 40 hours / week!

Question #339: Number of hours of school work ( out of agenda ):
    24/68 do between 5 and 10 hours by week

Question #340: Number of hours of paid work:
    4/68 work more that 40 hours / week

Question #341: Number of hours of TV watching:
    6/68 watch tv between 20 and 30 hours / week.

Question #342: Number of hours of music listening playing:
    3/68 more that 30 hours/week.

Question #343: Number of hours of video game ( not internet ):
    1/68 more that 30 hours

Question #344: Number of hours of playing sports:
    22/68 do between 5 and 10 hours/week.

Sure these results are not scientific and probably some students were kidding but they may be usefull to someone.

I hope it may help,

Bernard

In reply to Bernard Boucher

by Mary Kaplan -

Bernard,

In my French 4 class, we have been studying a variety of surveys, and I think this one would be very interesting to them. Would you mind if I print it up and show it to them?

--Mary Kaplan

In reply to Mary Kaplan

by Bernard Boucher -
Hi Mary,
            with pleasure.

An interesting analysis that can be done with these results at the end of semester, with a backup of the course, is to create groups based on course final grade, move the students to groups based on their grades and to try to see correlation with addiction vs grade.

For sure a new report type should be better!

I hope it may help,

Bernard