Evolve-D theme after 3.0

Evolve-D theme after 3.0

by Robin Leung -
Number of replies: 6

Issue at hand: I'm using a version of the Evolve-D theme. After upgrading to 3.0, if I have the navigation block docked, the rest of the blocks will fall below "region-main". But once I undock "Navigation", the blocks will restore to "side-post" (right) position.

I've looked into the code and it seems like it's these two things that are causing it:
.jsenabled.docked-region-side-pre.empty-region-side-pre.used-region-side-post #region-main {
    width: 100%;
}
.empty-region-side-pre.used-region-side-post #region-main {
    width: 100%;
}

Where do I go to get rid of these 2 lines?

Thanks.

Original Posting: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=330289&parent=1329114

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Robin Leung

Re: Evolve-D theme after 3.0

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

The reasons these CSS lines are there is because they are legacy CSS rules for theme that use those classes.

The fact they are doing what they are doing is that some other code must be missing. So it is not a case of removing those rules but adding one that will fix the problem.

I'll test it and get back to you.

Cheers

Mary

In reply to Robin Leung

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi,

It actually does this in Moodle 2.9 if both Navigation and Administration blocks are docked. The reason this is happening is the way in which the blocks have been added to the layout. Since it is only a 2 column theme, it only needs one block region, but Evolved has both visible.

So the easiest thing to do is move the ones that fall to the bottom of the screen and drag them into the section where the Navigation block is. You will see which is the default block region as the ADD BLOCK will be showing in it.

So with Editing ON drag all the blocks from below the Add Block to above it.

Turn editing OFF and test to see what happens.

Cheers

Mary

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mary Evans

by Robin Leung -

Hi Mary,

Your trick seems to have worked! (As long as the "Add a block" is under all the other blocks then it would work fine.)

All in all, the CSS probably needs to be updated to reflect 3.0? Or what if I modify the code to display only one block region?

Thanks for lending a hand,

Robin

In reply to Robin Leung

by Mary Evans -

The CSS for the blocks is OK in Moodle 3.0 there is no change to it as it is classed as Legacy CSS.

The layouts have changed in Moodle Bootstrapbase, Clean and More themes. The fact Evolved has a different layout set up is a mystery. Perhaps just leave as is and get the theme Author to change it.

If you start meddling with the theme files then you will run into issues you will not be able to solve so stick with the easy fix of just moving the blocks as the empty block region will be hidden from view by nature of the CSS in Moodle.

If anything goes wrong with the theme it will be a coding error that has to be fixed by a developer.

It looks to be working OK in my Moodle 3.0 which is running the latest version and with debugging enabled.

Cheers

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Robin Leung -

Thanks Mary. Your explanation was very useful.

In reply to Robin Leung

by Chris Kenniburg -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Evolve-D isn't ready for 3.0.  In fact I might have to completely overhaul it.  This was my first attempt at writing a theme for Moodle and while it did the trick while we were on Moodle 2.7 and 2.8 it was very much a learning process.

I have it on the agenda to take a look at what can be done this summer to bring it up to speed with Moodle.  However, we are also migrating our sites to completely new servers and that will be top priority.