Method of how to restrict access to certificate but keep it visible

Method of how to restrict access to certificate but keep it visible

by Arturs Polis -
Number of replies: 3

Hi, 

I am using the latest version of mod_certificate for Moodle 2.9
We need a possibility to have a visible certificate to our students, but accessible ONLY when 2 activities have been marked as complete. 

Sounds simple and logical, right? But the struggle to make it happen was big enough, so I want to share the only method we found so far. Maybe you can point out mistakes we did - I am sure there should be another solution, too. 

What did not work?
We created Certificate on the 0. Section and made it hidden. Of course, we did set up the "Restrict access" settings to give access only when the 2 activities are marked complete. Then we took the hyperlink of the Certificate and wrote a message to students with a link included, so that they could access the certificate through that link. By doing so, everyone can always get a certificate... Restrictions just do not function...

Another method was to guide students to the Certificate activity button (made unhidden) on the 0. section. Restrictions were marked as hidden. In this case the whole Certificate activity button got also hidden, so nobody could see it...

What works?
The only way to show the possibility to have the certificate while keeping it unaccessible was by showing the restriction criteria. In this case the button appears on the 0. Section. 
However, this solution is not the best, because that will look horrible when we have 20 restriction criteria instead of 2...

Any suggestions, ideas, solutions?...

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Arturs Polis

Re: Method of how to restrict access to certificate but keep it visible

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

You are double hiding it.

You just need to set the restrictions and then select the option for it to be hidden until the restrictions are met.

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Arturs Polis -

I am not sure you understood me.

I am including pictures in order to explain better.

So, this is how it looks now. Criteria are stated below the inaccessible activity. This solution is not fine, because we will have a list of 20 criteria... Activity has to be visible, criteria not!

This is how the Certificate accessibility settings look like when I want to hide the criteria:

And the Certificate Activity I leave visible, because it has to be visible by the students:

But then it disappears... Why?

I do not think that anything is double hidden...
Please, help!

In reply to Arturs Polis

by Jeremy Schweitzer -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

I think what Emma meant is you are setting both restrictions to hidden. That's what the crossed out eye in the criteria screenshot means. You should click on each of those eyes so that they are open. 

Then the certificate will be visible (including the restrictions still not completed), but grayed out until they have earned it. You can't hide the criteria, but show the certificate. That's core Moodle and it's by design. As a user completes each restriction that particular restriction will stop showing until they have completed all restrictions and can access the item. 

One option might be to show a label that describes or mimics the hidden activity and have it set to show until all the criteria are met and then hide the label. It's a little extra work, but it should do what you want.

I think as a user it would be frustrating to see an item that I can't access it without knowing what I have to finish still. 

Average of ratings: Useful (1)