Interactive Lesson Development - what to use

Interactive Lesson Development - what to use

por J P -
Número de respostas: 29

Guys,

I want to start building some interactive lesson content,  for example I am thinking fresh content overlaid on button clicks etc.

What tools do I need to look at, I see blog posts for and against jquery and YUI

Is there a route to go that will match the future of Moodle?

Anyone know of anywhere to find decent examples?

Thanks for looking.

Média das avaliações:  -
Em resposta à J P

Re: Interactive Lesson Development - what to use

por Farhan Karmali -
Imagem de Core developers Imagem de Plugin developers Imagem de Testers

Hi

Have you looked at the built in lesson activity module in Moodle? how different will your plugin be from it

Em resposta à Farhan Karmali

por J P -

Yes, I use tHe lesson activity now but maybe not as extensively as I could

I am trying to make lessons a bit more interactive tHan tHey currently are. 

I Had an idea of a responsive image witH clickable areas, tHat weHn clicked would overlay witH anotHer image or more text. I don't tHink Moodle will Handle tHe responsive side of tHis out of tHe box.  Hence tHe question.

(excuse tHe 'H' problem, keyboard Has just starting playing up)

Em resposta à J P

por Richard Oelmann -

It would almost certainly be jquery rather than YUI as the upstream YUI is not being further developed as I understand it.

However, as already mentioned, check out the Lesson module to see if it already does what you want. Or alternatively look at something like Storyline, or Xerte to create interactive content that could then be embedded in your pages.

Média das avaliações: Useful (1)
Em resposta à Richard Oelmann

por J P -

THank you, I'll take a look at Storyline and Xerte.

Just trying to brigHten up our Moodle courses. I sHould really searcH out some examples of really good interactive courses.

Em resposta à J P

por Juho Jaakkola -

You might also be interested in https://h5p.org/ and the Moodle plugin for it https://github.com/h5p/h5p-moodle-plugin.

Média das avaliações: Useful (4)
Em resposta à Juho Jaakkola

por Ken Task -
Imagem de Particularly helpful Moodlers

@Juho .... thanks for sharing!

I've just installed the plugin on a 3.0.3 Moodle sandbox and tried it out.

Pardon me for 'shouting', but it's worth SHOUTING!   BEST PLUGIN EVER! ;)

'spirit of sharing', Ken

por Matt Bury -
Imagem de Plugin developers

Hi Juho,

I installed the Moodle & Wordpress plugins. Everything worked great. You can create some very slick multimedia HTML5 presentations, interactive content, and quizzes with this.

I didn't see any content authoring tools in the Moodle plugin but authoring content with the Wordpress plugin tools, then downloading the .h5p package and uploading it to Moodle seemed to work OK.

Presumably, will the finished Moodle plugin include the same authoring/editing tools as the Wordpress plugin?

It's very much a work in progress but looks promising. Thanks for your hard work and for creating just the kind of plugin that Moodle really needs!

I'm watching the Github repo with interest and look forward to a beta release sorriso

3rd party intro to H5P here:

Matt

Média das avaliações: Useful (5)
Em resposta à Matt Bury

por Derek Chirnside -

In my opinion, this rates much more than and aside in an obscure thread here.  To be clear, this has been around for a long time, it is just last month the Moodle stuff came out in alpha.

Wordpress is the most fully developed.  MIT licence.  

Why do I think this is great? If nothing else because of two things:

First video

• Video poster image
  • cool looking interface
  • Video resizing
  • Video drag and drop
  • Upload two options WebM and MP4
  • and more

I am not an expert.  But it seems way ahead of core Moodle.  I can't find a downside, but I'm sure someone who knows more can comment.

Next, the content pages.

They leave anything I have at the moment (plugins. slideshows, lessons etc) in the dust.  ie if you don't go in for the big power tools to create LTI and SCORM, this does a huge amount.

There is more, but I've not dabbled.

My 2c worth

-Derek

Média das avaliações: Useful (4)
Em resposta à Derek Chirnside

por Matt Bury -

Hi Derek,

Yes, agree. Way ahead of any other presentation tools Moodle has so far. Here's another reason why I think H5P will be more useful to course content developers (note that I say developers, not designers):

Being able to edit resources at any time on the fly. In my view, that's always been one of the big advantages of having content authoring tools built into the LMS. It enables and encourages content developers and teachers to continuously edit and improve and/or make learning resources more appropriate for their learners. Why? There's no need to boot up a big, clunky SCORM IDE (e.g. Captivate, Raptivity, or Camtasia), find and open the source files, make the edits/changes to the content, repackage the content, and re-upload it to the LMS. Instead, teachers and content developers can simply hit the edit button while looking at the resource as it appears in the LMS, and make any edits/changes there and then. That's the kind of easy facility that makes developing learning resources so much easier and more responsive to everyone's needs.

Another nice touch is to be able to export the resources as neat, transferable, single packages that we can exchange between different Moodles, Drupals, and Wordpress' (what SCORM is supposed to be able to do in theory but doesn't in practice). I think this really facilitates developing open, shared, libraries and could have a significant impact on open educational resource (OER) projects.

Are there any plans to support the .h5p filetype in the moodle.net learning content repo? I think that'd be really popular once the Moodle H5P plugin is close to being a stable release.

Em resposta à Matt Bury

por Mary Cooch -
Imagem de Documentation writers Imagem de Moodle HQ Imagem de Particularly helpful Moodlers Imagem de Testers Imagem de Translators

Re the Moodle.net content database here we can quite easily add an extra field for uploading .h5p if there is a demand for it. I'll keep an eye on all of this  - it is new to me and I'm reading all this with interestsorriso

Are there plans to add this to the Moodle plugins directory?

Em resposta à Derek Chirnside

por Ken Task -
Imagem de Particularly helpful Moodlers

More 2 cents ... it has built in xAPI.

How many times has there been discussion about 'time spent' and somewhere in the discussion the use of videos brought up.   If one allowed an H5P video to play to the very end and then have one simple interactive popup ... Did you like the video? (yes/no).   That's recorded in the xAPI.

Hmmmm ... there's your time spent (on video) and there's hardly a way the student could "cheat" (I say that knowing that students might very well learn to slide to the end looking for that ending pause/interaction ... but ... counter measure ... put one interactive at other locations in the video.   Other videos in a course have interactions (ZigZiglar - 'Check Ups from the Neck Up') placed at random locations.   That will at least keep them guessing! sorriso

Sorry ... I have taught in K12 and worked with K12 students too long! :\

'spirit of sharing', Ken

Média das avaliações: Useful (1)
Em resposta à Ken Task

por Richard Oelmann -

This looks like a really great tool - playing with it on the H5P site.

Can't wait to see the full content creation tools within Moodle

Em resposta à Matt Bury

por Juho Jaakkola -

Thanks for your hard work and for creating just the kind of plugin that Moodle really needs!

Thanks, but I cannot take the credit. I've helped a bit with the Moodle plugin, but most work has been done by the H5P team. sorriso

Will the finished Moodle plugin include the same authoring/editing tools as the Wordpress plugin?

Yes, that is the goal.

Moodle has it's own specialties in how it's built and how it works, so at the moment the fastest way to get the plugin finished would be for the Moodle community to jump in and help with the development.

por Mihai Bojonca -
Imagem de Testers

Looks that the new turn this tread took requires it's own dedicated thread. 

Would an admin move it ? 

In our situation there are so many good applications for the plugin. I would like to know what contribution options are there.

Thanks

Em resposta à Mihai Bojonca

por J P -

If an admin is reading and wants to rename this thread, they are more than welcome. 

por Matt Bury -

Hi Juho,

Just ran cron on my localhost (LAMP stack) Moodle 3.0 with H5P installed and got the following error:

Execute scheduled task: Look for H5P updates (mod_hvp\task\look_for_updates)
... started 15:55:37. Current memory use 6.2MB.

Fatal error: Call to undefined function mod_hvp\download_file_content() in /home/matt/lampstack-5.5.30-1/apps/moodle/htdocs/mod/hvp/classes/framework.php on line 101

Em resposta à Matt Bury

por Frode Petterson -

Hi Matt,

Did you use the version from h5p.org/moodle or GitHub? 

Do you know which version of PHP you are running? It could be some version specific or a setting in php.ini, but I'm not sure. You could try to modify the file and add a backslash(\) in front of the download_file_content() function and then try to run the cron task again. It should be at line 101 of mod/hvp/classes/framework.php. If it works, I'll add the fix to the plugin. 

Thank you for pointing out the issue.

Em resposta à Frode Petterson

por Steve Bilton -

Hi,

Do you know which Moodle version the H5P plugin is compatible with?

I tried with a later version 2 moodle, but had no success.

I have already created an entire health & safety course, where all learning materials have been made using H5P (approx 420 pages with custom graphics for every page); and have embedding the H5P activities into our Moodle from another platform (wordpress). I also use the Moodle Quiz for the testing of what was learnt as I need some form of grade track-ability. I'm also using course completion criteria and when scores are achieved and actives completed the course automatically provides a completion grade.

When Moodle / H5P integration has completed this will make my live far easier!! I hope to integrate the grading to moodle for H5P activities, as soon as H5P plugin is completed.

I am already 50% through creating my second course.  I must have faith in the technology as this has added to a few hundred hours of work boca aberta

I'll make some examples available on my primary advertising site when I've completed both NEW courses, when they are accredited (sometimes takes a month or two) : SHEilds eLearning.

Cheers

Steve

Em resposta à Steve Bilton

Svar: Re: Interactive Lesson Development - what to use

por Frode Petterson -

It's cool to see people put so much work and effort into H5P. I'm certain life will be easier once the first stable version of the plugin is completed. I believe it's scheduled to be done later this month if everything works out, so stay tuned! There's also a newsletter you can sign-up for on h5p.org to stay up-to-date with the progress.

Currently, the H5P plugin should be compatible with 2.7+, as it's the oldest version of Moodle which is still supported. I don't think it will work 100 % with earlier versions without modification. Which version are you running?

Make sure you grab the alpha version of the plugin which is available at h5p.org/moodle to ensure that you get all the files.

Kind regards,
Frode

Re: Svar: Re: Interactive Lesson Development - what to use

por Steve Bilton -

Hi Frode,

That explains things, I'm using an older version than 2.7 to test with.

I have a very custom modified Moodle, so upgrades are always a pain. I'll test with a newer Moodle and see how I get on.

Thank you for your prompt input!

Cheers

Steve

Em resposta à Matt Bury

por courtney kidman -

Hi Matt,

I was wondering what Moodle theme you used to display the tiles large and colourful "pink" colour for the h5p package? Mine doesn't look that fancy! Mine has an black n'white h5p symbol, is there anyway to change it?

Great work! Looking forward to trying this plugin in our courses!

Best,

Courtney

Halifax, NS Canada

por J P -

Juho,  thank you for the suggestion, I am in and playing now.

por Thomas Marstrander -

Thought i'd pitch in an update here for those following this thread.

The beta for the H5P plugin is now done for Moodle. We would love to get your thoughts and feedback on how well the integration flows with your setup. We want to make sure that we have provided an amazing experience for you guys.

Please check it out at the H5P Moodle plugin page, and let us know what you think sorriso

Em resposta à Thomas Marstrander

por Steve Bilton -

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for the great news, I have been very keen to try this H5P plugin.

I'm in the process of upgrading my PHP & MySQL versions on one of my servers to meet Moodle 3 criteria. Unfortunately this involves Plesk, so I must first update Plesk the the most recent version before I can perform the upgrades and install Moodle and H5P etc. As soon as I'm done with updating the server I'm ready to create a Moodle 3.1 Development environment to test within.

I'll report back after some playing around.

Steve

Em resposta à J P

por Nick Varney -
Significant news. H5P for Moodle is now ready  sorriso

https://h5p.org/blog/h5p-for-moodle-is-ready

Em resposta à Nick Varney

por Renaat Debleu -
Imagem de Core developers Imagem de Particularly helpful Moodlers Imagem de Plugin developers

5 months later and H5P is still NOT ready. To pretend that the current version is a release candidate, is far too optimistic. (grading is not working - logged out people can still submit - cron function is generating errors - .... )

Em resposta à Renaat Debleu

por Frode Petterson -

Hi! I'm one of the developers working on the plugin. (at least whenever I can spare the time)

I'm sorry to hear that you aren't happy with the current version of the plugin. If you could be kind and elaborate on the issues you're listing and how you think they should work, then I will have a look at them.

1. What part of the grading isn't working, is it only for some of the content types or all?

2. There is a permission check so that if the user gets logged out the grade isn't stored. So, I assume you're talking about adding a proper way to notify the user about this?

3. I see that Cron is generating some notices. I've created an issue for getting this fixed in the h5p-library so that it's sorted out in the next version. (I don't think this is a huge issue for production environments as notices are usually disabled there.)

Currently, the backup feature is disabled. This is due to a bug when restoring the images used in the content. Hopefully, this will get sorted real soon and we have a 1.0 release of the plugin. 

Please let me know if you are experiencing any other issues with the plugin as I would really like the plugin to be usable for as many as possible.

por Renaat Debleu -
Imagem de Core developers Imagem de Particularly helpful Moodlers Imagem de Plugin developers

Other things that can limit the functioning of Moodle: (dbtransfer - badges - enrolment)

1. dbtransfer (sudo -u www-data php admin/cli/check_database_schema.php)
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    hvp
     * column 'slug' length is 255, expected  (C)
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  2. behat: (sudo -u www-data php admin/tools/behat/cli/run,php) 
    Scenario: All of the selected roles can award badges # badges/tests/behat/award_badge.feature:232
          And I trigger cron                                 # badges/tests/behat/award_badge.feature:299
            Other backtraces found:
            line 2426 of /mod/hvp/library/h5p.classes.php: call to behat_error_handler()
            line 48 of /mod/hvp/classes/task/look_for_updates.php: call to H5PCore->fetchLibrariesMetadata()
            line 75 of /lib/cronlib.php: call to mod_hvp()
            line 81 of /admin/cron.php: call to cron_run() (Exception)
  3. behat: (sudo -u www-data php admin/tools/behat/cli/run,php)
    Scenario: Backup and restore of meta enrolment instance # enrol/meta/tests/behat/enrol_meta.feature:77
  4. phpunit: (php admin/tools/phpunit/cli/init.php)
    plugin produces html garbage (see https://github.com/h5p/h5p-moodle-plugin/issues/122)

I used the github bug tracker to report one issue, but received no feedback or reaction.  As long as nobody reacts over there, I'm forced to post all possible errors in this discussion forum...